GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
91 griddy
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see alot of people painting the chrome part of the grille shell the same color of their trucks and i'm wondering is there a paintable grille shell you can buy or are you just painting over the chrome? any help is appreciated thanks

·
Masshole
5,276 Posts
SS's came painted. but u can scuff the chrome up and have the use adhesion promoter and ull be fine

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I had the chrome part on my truck painted and its holding up well.

·
Administrator
206 Posts
that was gonna be my next question.. how abt your's nathanjax?
Still like the day it was painted. Just make sure its a painter who knows what he's doing and you'll be fine... I had a "friend" paint it at first, and came out like crap. Took it to a professional, and had it back same day...

·
91 griddy
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still like the day it was painted. Just make sure its a painter who knows what he's doing and you'll be fine... I had a "friend" paint it at first, and came out like crap. Took it to a professional, and had it back same day...
thats what im gonna end up having to do..the painter is making such a big deal abt it sayin why am i painting stuff that isnt made to be painted etc

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
if you have any doubts about the painter take it somewhere else.

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
yep, mines done that way as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have to take the grille apart to paint it or just take it off the truck and paint it like that? I also have a slight crack in my grille and was scared that if i paint it the crack will show any suggestions other than buying a new grille????

·
Come at me bro
204 Posts
thats what im gonna end up having to do..the painter is making such a big deal abt it sayin why am i painting stuff that isnt made to be painted etc
Yeah I would say hes a moron and just stays inside his box of painting, if he broadened his knowledge of what you can paint on trucks/cars he'd be making more money and he'd say yeah no problem and you'd have it back already. Imo take it somewhere else...

Do you have to take the grille apart to paint it or just take it off the truck and paint it like that? I also have a slight crack in my grille and was scared that if i paint it the crack will show any suggestions other than buying a new grille????
I wouldn't bother trying to take the grille apart, basically mask tape the shit out of it imo lol and spray it (Off the truck of course). The paint in the crack may fill uneven and run on you or you may get lucky and it will fill evenly and you will be fine.
This is a good write up I found, if you follow it and know what your doing you should be fine.
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=208

But all in all this stuff will be your best friend when trying to apply paint to chrome or plastics.
http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=1&prodid=56

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.