GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to run a 37" BF Goodrich Baja TA military takeoff tire that requires a 16.5" rim this coming winter potentially to save my chrome 22x14's from pitting due to any salt that may be thrown out on the roads (snow usually isn't bad here in eastern NC but the NCDOT will sling out salt & sand any time there's a slight chance of freezing rain). I got tired of having to wash my rims weekly last winter and early spring with temps & wind chills still in the high 20's and lower 30's some days. so I'm contemplating looking into purchasing some cheaper aftermarket 16.5" rims from Jegs or Summit to run those 37's on my truck because I know it costs $300-500 to have the steel Hummer wheels re-centered and drilled for a 6x5.5 bolt pattern. I know the tires are fairly heavy at 80+ lbs per tire but I'm re-geared with 4.10's, a CAI and a dyno tune which I feel is sufficient enough for running heavy tires just 2 or 3 months in the winter anyway so trans temps will hopefully stay down. But any help on whether the 16.5" rims would fit over the front calipers would be greatly appreciated. I know the smallest rim size from the factory for 1500 GM's was the 17" rims but I don't think they'll work with the military takeoff tires no matter how much lube I put on there haha. thanks guys in advance for the input!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you could run spacers to make em fit.
Like a 1/4" or 1/2" spacer? Or something bigger? I have 1.5" spacers on my rear axle and don't mind them but a decent sized spacer like that on my front hubs kinda sketches me out. But I guess they wouldn't be much worse than the amount of leverage my 22x14's are currently creating on my front hubs without spacers now

Or grind the calipers some
If it was an old POS that I rarely took out on the street then I'd be down to do so

I ran 15s at one point
I messaged you personally on FB to ask about it. I am curious as to how you could squeeze 15" wheels over the front brake calipers

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have factory 17's and it looks like they taper out towards the insides of the wheel. However right by where it mounts to the hub I can't even fit a pencil between the caliper and wheel. Also I know cragar has the nomad or nomad 2 in a 16.5, saw it on jegs.. Haven't looked into it but maybe the center bore would be right for a budget winter wheel setup?

Just if your wondering

·
Registered
10,976 Posts
To run 15s the wheel has to be pretty much outsider the caliper. The welds had a 3.5" backspace and I had to run a 2" spacer aswell. So to run a 15 u need 1.5" of backspace. As far as grinding the calipers go, the part u need to grind doesn't affect the brakes in anyway

·
Registered
608 Posts
Like a 1/4" or 1/2" spacer? Or something bigger? I have 1.5" spacers on my rear axle and don't mind them but a decent sized spacer like that on my front hubs kinda sketches me out. But I guess they wouldn't be much worse than the amount of leverage my 22x14's are currently creating on my front hubs without spacers now

If it was an old POS that I rarely took out on the street then I'd be down to do so

I messaged you personally on FB to ask about it. I am curious as to how you could squeeze 15" wheels over the front brake calipers
I have grinded calipers on my nnbs from my 16.5s and my 15x14s since it was new my nbs was done the same way for 7 years no problems along with many of my 4th gen fbodys to clear 15s

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To run 15s the wheel has to be pretty much outsider the caliper. The welds had a 3.5" backspace and I had to run a 2" spacer aswell. So to run a 15 u need 1.5" of backspace. As far as grinding the calipers go, the part u need to grind doesn't affect the brakes in anyway
No i'm looking to run a 16.5" in Pro Comp steel wheel more than likely. And if I do run them I'll be probably grinding the calipers (may pick up a second set of front brake calipers and then maybe try my work on them first if that makes sense in case for some reason something goes wrong). Ok so let me ask this; if Fabtech recommends 5" of BS for any sized wheel 17" to 20" and if I have run 37x13.5 Mud Grapplers before on an 18x9 wheel with 4.5" of backspacing with no scrubbing, then wouldn't it be safe to say that I can run anywhere from 4" to 4.75" of BS on whatever 16.5x8 or 16.5x9 wheel that I choose right? the tires i'm looking to run are 37x12.5R16.5 BF Goodrich Military Baja TA's or potentially the same sized Goodyear Treadwright MTR Guard Dogs and from what i've seen they run fairly true to size as far as the width goes. so i'm assuming they shouldn't scrub so long as I don't go less than 4" or greater probably than 5.5" on a x9 wheel right?

I have grinded calipers on my nnbs from my 16.5s and my 15x14s since it was new my nbs was done the same way for 7 years no problems along with many of my 4th gen fbodys to clear 15s
could you potentially show any pic you can get of what all you had to grind on the caliper? I took a look tonight at my calipers and they don't seem to have any particular high spots but I have all ideas from what little i can tell so far that i'll be close to 1/8" or a 1/4" worth of grinding off the top

·
Registered
10,976 Posts
I'm gonna say a 16.5 with 4" backspace and a 1.5" spacer would be perfectly fine. No grinding necessary

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm gonna say a 16.5 with 4" backspace and a 1.5" spacer would be perfectly fine. No grinding necessary
I may end up trying to run them then. I currently have Bora 1.5" hubcentric 6x5.5 spacers on the rear axle (which I bought to compensate for the extra track width of the Fabtech kit). I could just swap them to the front and run 3" spacers in the rear with those wheels so that the track width of the front doesn't stick out too badly as compared to the rear's width. Would the hubcentric spacers hurt anything at all? They have a small lip for the center bore of the wheels. I didn't know if running the procomp steel 52 series rock crawler wheels would need to be hubcentric or lugcentric. I do tow occasionally as well but try to keep the heavier towing limited to the work trucks since mine isn't a Duramax lol

·
Registered
10,976 Posts
I ran 2" on the front of my tahoe for years on x14s Only issues were worn hubs which is expected. Ran 2" on the front of the silvy for a little while with the welds with no issues

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
3" spacers. holy sheet

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ran 2" on the front of my tahoe for years on x14s Only issues were worn hubs which is expected. Ran 2" on the front of the silvy for a little while with the welds with no issues
As far as the spacers go will it be ok to keep running hubcentric spacers or will I need to run lugcentric? Yea I only anticipate running them for maybe a few months during the winter at best. I Checked my hubs the other day and they're fine so far after a year of being on x14's.

·
Registered
10,976 Posts
All I ever ran was lug centric spacers. If u know how to correctly tighten lug nuts it won't matter if u get hub or lug centric

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All I ever ran was lug centric spacers. If u know how to correctly tighten lug nuts it won't matter if u get hub or lug centric
Word alright thanks man! Yea I will probably just go that route then with the lugcentric spacers for the rear. Thanks for the help too I do appreciate it. I'll try to post up pics when this is all done with. I'm getting all 4 tires BRAND NEW (nipples still on all them) for less than what I could get just a single Nitto or Toyo in the same size even after our business account's discount through BTS lol. I know they have their drawbacks as far as wheel sizes go and may not be scoring the highest marks in all areas of performance but I'll be very interested to see how long they last given all that I've read so far about them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts