GMC Truck Forum banner

Can you run a K&N FIPK with a Throttle Body Spacer....

7K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  BIGRED Z 
#1 ·
....I've heard a few stories that they won't fit with out some cutting and that a K&N should not be ran with a throttle body spacer. Also I've heard that they will work perfectly together? Can anyone tell me if these are really compatible with each other, or what other cold air intakes would work with a spacer. Thank's

#6 ·
Yeah, with the FIPK and a spacer, your definently gonna have to do some cutting. The K&N already was pushing against my fan shroud without the spacer. When i installed the spacer i had to cut the shroud and just barely cut a little notch out of my fan blades so they wouldn't hit the intake tube. It's nothing that a Dremel and ten minutes won't take care of. Also with the K&N you can take the mounting plate off that the old air box was connected to. The new intake will still bolt up without it being there. It'll give ya a little less air restriction. I'f you want, i'll post some pics and show ya how mine is srt up.

#7 ·
Thanks guys for all the info. I just want to be sure of everything before I go out and spend the money.

triple_deep82 said:
Yeah, with the FIPK and a spacer, your definently gonna have to do some cutting. The K&N already was pushing against my fan shroud without the spacer. When i installed the spacer i had to cut the shroud and just barely cut a little notch out of my fan blades so they wouldn't hit the intake tube. It's nothing that a Dremel and ten minutes won't take care of. Also with the K&N you can take the mounting plate off that the old air box was connected to. The new intake will still bolt up without it being there. It'll give ya a little less air restriction. I'f you want, i'll post some pics and show ya how mine is srt up.

Hey that would be awesome if you could post some pic's, so I can see what I'm getting myself into.

#13 ·
i have the tb spacer and the airaid, no problems.. people with UPD usually can just cut enough of the fan shroud to clear, and its really close to the fan but it doesn't it, in my opinion the tb spacer is f'ing worthless on the NBS :(

#14 ·
I have a TB Spacer and used to have an Air Raid intake, all it did was make my intake tube touch the fan shroud. I'd just do that if you don't wanna modify the fan shroud.

I'm going to have an intake tube made of exhaust pipe and the K&N cone style filter on the end of it. Then have the tube painted.

The TB spacer don't do shit, but I like the sound :)

#15 ·
Hey Bro,

Now that you know you can do that I have one other suggestion actually several. The K&N plus the TB-Spacer will give you a few extra ponys. If your really into trickin this thing first get a dyno read out. Spend a few bucks to find out what your base line horsepower and and redine rpm is. Otherwise you wont have a clue if you bolted on one or one hundred horsepower. This thing has your age as 19, I dont know your $ situation BUT if you realy want to get your truck haulin ass it comes down to fuel and air. I just bought my truck a 99 ext cab 4x4. I've got a little money to thow at it and have done a ton of research. Here is what I have planned ( I already have a custom flowmaster dual exhaust, I'm going to do the TB spacer thing and use a K&N. Next a power programmer to unlock the computer max speed, MSD ignition setup, high flow water pump, electric fans to save horsepower, oil cooler, already has a trans cooler. The biggest and most expensive mod coming is about $4000 and I thinkthe best A Votec Super Charger System. Most likely something inside is going to come apart cams etc. with that much ass behind it we'll just have to see. I expect to go from 300 horespower to 400 or better. Granted I have a 5.3 but you can still get a lot out of that 4.3. It's retarted but this is my daily driver and my gas mileage is going to hell I'm sure. But we all love our trucks dont we!

#16 ·
As far as mods to increase HP I plan on doing to following. TB Spacer, K&N FIPK, Headers? maybe ( do you have any input on that?), Gibson Exhaust,plugs and wires, and some kind of programmer either Hypertech, or a Nelson ( I've heard great things about that tune from people in this site). Maybe something with the rear-end in the future. I'am 19 and going to school out here in cali so money is tight, but its there. As for the dyno I'm not very familiar with how that works, but thats something I look into.

It sounds like you have everything planed out, and it sounds like it should realy move after everythings installed. Tell me what you think about ^ those mods.

#17 ·
I dono how late i am on this thread but i have a K&N FIPK on my 6.0l and it touches the fan shroud. Your going to have to either trim the shroud or the intake tube to get a spacer to fit. ALso what about the tornado things that fit inside the intake tube instead of between it and the tb?

#20 ·
Here is how to fit a K&N F.I.P.K. & 1" TB spacer on a NBS 4.3L v6.

I ditched the spacer when I went to a CFM-Tech TB. Everyone is right, it does nothing for performance but whistle. And I lost the whistle when I cut off the diverter plate

"How to:

fit a TB spacer & K&N intake under the hood

because the throttle body on the modern Vortec 4.3L V6 is on top of the engine, using a Throttle Body Spacer and a K&N F.I.P.K cold air intake kit will cause hood clearance issues.

The K&N "throttlebody to intake tube" adapter has an extra ridge cast into it that intentionally lifts up the intake tube for proper alignment. Cut off and smooth over the lip so now the top of the adapter is flat. This will restore intake alignment with the use of a throttle body spacer."

I'd thought about drilling and taping the spacer for the nitrous fogger just to make the spacer functional. Glad I didn't when I went to a bored TB

If you want more mod ideas for the 4.3L check out my cardomain... realize that adding performance parts to a 4.3 is chasing your tail. Sure it makes more fun to drive, but it's still no competetor for racing.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2915246

#21 ·
i just installed at OBX throttle body spacer (yesterday) on my truck (05 5.3L) and i didnt have to do any modifications to my intake (k&n cold air intake) the only hard part was getting the heater hose thats attacthed to the bottom of the throttle off and then back on again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.