GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just candied some lights and we fucked em up. How do i get all this shit off to start again?

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that easy, This stuff aint commin off. I tried paint thinner and gasoline and it didnt help

·
Registered
724 Posts
if sand paper doesnt take it off then get some intense rubbing compound (the kind that has a warning on the label saying that it could take off your paint) and rub for hours. That shit will rub the paint right off of your Truck. Good Luck :evil:

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
TheLlama said:
We just candied some lights and we fucked em up. How do i get all this shit off to start again?
What did you do to get them "fucked up"?
I plan on doing mine this weekend.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
my dad candied grants lights (2000lowsierra) but instead of using regular clear grant wanted to experiment with pearl clear coat.. it came out lookin really silver during the day... but badass at night.. grant rolled them for a couple days and decided he didnt like them.. but it looks like saturday my dads gonna have his hands full of candyin jobs :rocking:

·
Zombie Squad
1,244 Posts
werd i did the same thing while smoking my taillights...i mean i had that shit on THICK...i got like an 80 grit sand paper and sanded it off...took a long time...i actually had to do it twice then the third time...which i just finished maybe 3 hours ago...looks like the other light...like it should :p

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
TheLlama said:

Agreed with everyone else, sand ... if it was metal you could use paint stripper ... but I would be afraid the tail lights would melt on you.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Yeah, i wouldn't risk paint stripper on something like that...wait a while and sand it all off and go at it again...i need to redo mine soon.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
read my post that a few up.. they've been candied for a few days but tried to remove it to redo it :read:

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We ended up using stripper and melting the lights lol... thats ok he was wantin some new ones anyway

·
Loves yoga pants
2,414 Posts
Were they just the 99-02 lights with the amber lens for a fleetside?

If so...PM me Chris...I have a set to hook an Okie up with...specially if you're coming to town on Sat.

·
Registered
531 Posts
OKLAGMCRUISER said:
Were they just the 99-02 lights with the amber lens for a fleetside?

If so...PM me Chris...I have a set to hook an Okie up with...specially if you're coming to town on Sat.
Stepside lights.

we used a striping spray first and then chris cracked them. Oh well I had a crappy tail light anyway. They will get redone soon. Prob before saturday.

·
Loves yoga pants
2,414 Posts
2000lowsierra said:
Stepside lights.

we used a striping spray first and then chris cracked them. Oh well I had a crappy tail light anyway. They will get redone soon. Prob before saturday.
Yeah...I saw your one light trimmed and one not at slamboree...

crap...wish mine coulda helped ya out.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Sanding the candy off would have worked...Just needed to use 400 grit wet and sand until the normal color of the light came back, then smooth it back out with 600. I did this to one of my tails that i was experimenting with and didn't like the results...that light is the same one that is redone and is on my truck now looking just fine :bowtie:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Y2KSierra said:
Sanding the candy off would have worked...Just needed to use 400 grit wet and sand until the normal color of the light came back, then smooth it back out with 600. I did this to one of my tails that i was experimenting with and didn't like the results...that light is the same one that is redone and is on my truck now looking just fine :bowtie:
I think the clear I used wasn't a good idea. It was a model clear. We tried it all! We even used 40 on a power sander! haha Chris ended up trying to wet sand with 40 grit and gasoline before it was all over.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
2000lowsierra said:
haha Chris ended up trying to wet sand with 40 grit and gasoline before it was all over.

them lights looked like ass by the time yall gave up :crazy:

·
Registered
143 Posts
2000lowsierra said:
I think the clear I used wasn't a good idea. It was a model clear. We tried it all! We even used 40 on a power sander! haha Chris ended up trying to wet sand with 40 grit and gasoline before it was all over.
you were using the grit side of the paper right?

paint stripper on plastic????!!!?! :insane: WTF?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts