GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions? I have been smashing this thing for an hour.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know it just frozen I think I need a bigger hammer

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Be careful with that. The bolts dont hold it up, they just hold it against the knuckle. The hub goes into the spindle. Try to use a punch and get it to turn, or, if you can, try to knock it straight out from the back. Also try some pb blaster and/or heat and/or 2 prybars and/or chisel. Oh, and those dust shields are a pita.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I think I need to go to the store tomorrow and get a couple pry bars. I cant hit it from behind because the cv is still in there I took the bolts of the diff sid of the cv shaft so I could possible disconnect it but it frozen on that end too.

·
Registered
640 Posts
you gotta disconnect the cv shaft to take the hub out. The big bolt on the end of the CV shaft holds the hub.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got this from all data.

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

Removal Procedure

Notice: Refer to Bearing Seal Damage Notice in Service Precautions.

Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Wheels, Tires and Alignment.
Remove the rotor. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement - Front in Brakes and Traction Control.
Remove the wheel speed sensor and brake hose mounting bracket bolt from the steering knuckle.
Disconnect the electrical connection for the wheel speed sensor. Refer to Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement (RWD) or Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement (S4WD).
Disengage the front drive halfshaft assembly. Refer to Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement.
Remove the hub and bearing assembly mounting bolts (15 Series).

Remove the hub and bearing assembly mounting bolts (25 Series).
Remove the hub and bearing assembly.
Remove the O-ring seal from the steering knuckle bore (25 Series).
Clean and inspect the O-ring seal (25 Series).
Replace the seal if the following conditions exist:
Nicks
Cuts
Dry or brittle
Compression set
Installation Procedure

Clean all corrosion or contaminates from the steering knuckle bore and the hub and bearing assembly.
Install the O-ring to the steering knuckle (25 Series).
Lubricate the steering knuckle bore with wheel bearing grease or the equivalent.
Install the hub and bearing assembly. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
Install the hub and bearing assembly mounting bolts (15 Series). Install the hub and bearing assembly mounting bolts (25 Series).
Tighten the hub to knuckle bolts to 180 Nm (133 ft. lbs.) .

Disengage the front drive halfshaft assembly. Refer to Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement. See: Transmission and Drivetrain\Drive Axles, Bearings and Joints\Axle Shaft Assembly
Connect the electrical connection for the wheel speed sensor. Refer to Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement (RWD) or Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement (S4WD).
Install the wheel speed sensor and brake hose mounting bracket bolt to the steering knuckle.
Tighten the bolt to 12 Nm (106 inch lbs.) .
Install the rotor. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement - Front in Brakes and Traction Control.
Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Wheels, Tires and Alignment.
Remove the safety stands.
Lower the vehicle.

How do I disengage the halfshaft?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you gotta disconnect the cv shaft to take the hub out. The big bolt on the end of the CV shaft holds the hub.
I have all the bolts out but I cant get the cv out it moves but theres not enough clearence to push it all the way out.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
It should compress enough. That or i was just lucky as i have 2" spacers on each side in between. Imo you should be able to take out the hub w/ the cv still attached to it (it being the hub). Worst case scenario you could take out the easiest looking part on your control arms (ie; one ball joint or the end of one ca. Have you tried pulling your cv to compress it? Have you tried using a punch or chisel to turn the hub / knock a space between it and the knuckle?

·
Registered
640 Posts
you should be able to pull the shaft out. the side that bolts on the axle should slide down and pull the whole thing towards the inside of the truck to get it out. the only way youre gonna get that hub off is by unbolting that whole cv shaft and getting it out.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried all of that but maybe I'm just spent for the night. I'm going to drink some beers think it over and try to remove the CV again.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
yeah, that's the way to do it. Trying all night is horrible. You'll be fresher in hte morning.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, that's the way to do it. Trying all night is horrible. You'll be fresher in hte morning.
:word:

Again Thanks for the help:head:

·
Registered
33 Posts
All you should have to do is take the nut off the cv shaft, remove the bolts on the back side holding the hub into the spindle and the spindle should come off if you tap it a few times with a hammer. You can also try taping the cv out of the hub with a punch and hammer after you take the nut of the end of the cv.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Remove a ball joint to get more room. then all your troubles will end.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I know what your going through ive done lots of these at work. ive had the best luck with a air hammer and first make it turn and then pound it out. sometimes ive have to use heat. also you do not need to take the shaft out. just slide the old hub off the cv shaft and slide the new one over it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts