GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a magnaflow 3" single in/out to put on my truck. i just wanted to put it where the stock muffler is, followed by an immediate dump. however, stock piping is 2.75"... all welders around me say the 1/4" is too much and will have a leak, no stores carry a 2.75" to 3" expander and no shops say they are able to do anything for me. I can't even find anything on the internet to buy. Any advice?

·
05 Sierra Crew
987 Posts
Yea I have a 3" on mine too but I do know what their talking about, they'll just need to fill the gap with welds to make it work or maybe you might be able to use one of those tail pipe stretcher things from harbor freight?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so everyone else was able to have it welded? guess ill just keep calling around. i know ill check tomorrow, but out of laziness...is the stock muffler bolted on or welded on?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would it save me some cash to cut off the stocker before i bring in the new one to the shop? and anyone in the maryland area have this done? i literally called at least a dozen local shops that all said they couldnt do it...figures

·
Registered
544 Posts
they are full of shit.
The gap isn't even a 1/4" to tell you the truth more in the 1/16" range between the pipes simply fills in when you weld it together. Or the pipe can be expanded to fit, it's pretty sad how they call them selves muffler shops when I could do either option for you in my garage.

·
T Nigs
1,318 Posts
or if you wanted you could go to autozone and get some mufler clamps and cut like 2 slits in teh muffler so it will catch onto the pipe and clap that bish down. thats what i did in the mean time.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
LOL, fuck them. AutoZone and O'Reilly have pipe expanders even...

·
Its just my style
1,404 Posts
Like everyone stated, it can deff. be done. I've got 2 1/4" pipe, and 3"in/out bullets. A good shop will make "sizers" if you will, that will gradually go up to the 3", and then gradually step down from the 3".

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Usually they weld a small extension piece in and that piece is also the adapter if you think about it. They just stretch one side of it a bit bigger to give it a snug fit to the factory pipe, weld it there and done. Weld the muffler to the new pipe section, a hanger and your done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts