GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody watch car & driver tv??

Also read here: http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=7692

They had a thing on today doing a comparison of the 4 door 1/2 ton pickups. The silverado came in 5th, Tundra 4th, RAM 3rd, F150 2nd, and Titan 1st.

They really rip the chevy pretty bad. I think they just hate GM.
Here is what they say online about it:

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
GM is not so good at knowing when to hold ’em and when to fold ’em. Its last-place showing in this test is a strong hint.

Yes, our Chevy was a preproduction sample, but only the four-door part; the rest is the senior citizen of the group, and the weaknesses we found are designed in. It scored last in eight of 22 rating categories, starting with driver comfort and ergonomics. It was last in styling and value, too.

The new part is the back seat, and it gets a midpack rating. The space is good for three adults across, but toes hit obstacles under the front seats and the tracks bite into Reebok room. The seat holds you a bit too upright, and the cushion is short. For cargo space instead of second-row seating, lift the cushion to tilt forward and fold the backrest down in its place, thereby creating a station-wagon-style load floor.

The front seats have a Barcalounger bulk about them and a softness that works against holding the driver in position. We didn’t like the excessive spine curvature of the driving position, either. The aging dash is a haphazard landscape of unrelated shapes; it seemed good enough for a truck until the Ram, F-150, and Titan brought designer flair to the cockpit.

As for the Silverado’s moves on the road, it takes us right back to the day when pickups were no fun. Steering and brake responses are indifferent. The ride is harsh even while being lackadaisical about control of body motions. The Vortec 5300, rated at 295 horses, is the only engine offered in this light-duty four-door. It’s commendably silent at idle. Down the highway, though, you’re always giving it the whip just to maintain speed on upgrades.

At the track, 0 to 60 happened in 8.8 seconds to tie the Toyota and show the tailgate to the Ford by half a second. Braking, at 206 feet from 70 mph, tied the Ford for last place; 0.67 on the skidpad was an undisputed last.

We like the clearly marked four-wheel-drive controls high on the dash, an easy left-hand reach away. When you press a button to order a change, you get a winking light, a sort of electronic affirmation that says, “Roger, wilco.” We had only one mishap while cavorting in the sand of Death Valley’s Dumont Dunes: The nose pitched down during a landing and popped a below-the-bumper fog light out of its mounting. Irrational exuberance in the driver seat gets some of the blame here.

Not so easily dismissed is the gear whine that was ever present after we left the dunes. Sand in the gears? All gear cases are carry-over equipment not subject to preproduction bothers.

The balloting was unanimous—fold it.

·
ExhaustSoundzSeniorMember
1,137 Posts
Yeah, I saw that. I couldnt believe they gave the number one spot to the Nissan. Although I was a little impressed w/ the wheel squeelin by the Nissan on the 0-60 run, but other than that I thought it was crazy. I figured theyd give the new ford the #1 but i guess even they cant look past the 6000lb slow ass 300hp (lol) motor. Also, the Toyota shouldnt even be called a F/S truck, it reminds me of the T100, their last attempt at F/S, its more like a 2/3 F/S. I personally think that Chevy and Dodge are the two top of the hill right now, no matter what they say.

Will

·
Registered
105 Posts
thats just BS. first off the seats are great IMO, I admit when i first bought my 03 they I wasnt use to them, but man are they great now. secondly the ride is harsh? My friggin grandmother(in all honesty) says its the best riding vehicle she has been in(which isnt just her own) and for the brakes, I remember like last year one of those people on tv, maybe even C&D said the chevy brakes were the best out there alongside BMW.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Chevy brakes the best out ther? I think the NBS have some of the worst brakes I have ever seen. But ya I think C&D has it out for GM or something. They tore apart the GTO too. With no good excuse other than its not a camaro.

·
Registered
105 Posts
AntiBling said:
Chevy brakes the best out ther? I think the NBS have some of the worst brakes I have ever seen. But ya I think C&D has it out for GM or something. They tore apart the GTO too. With no good excuse other than its not a camaro.
I heard it on tv, thats what I was wondering lol, maybe the best ABS system?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Big10Fan said:
I heard it on tv, thats what I was wondering lol, maybe the best ABS system?
Could possibly be the best ABS system, and I hate ABS since it takes forever to stop then on gravel roads.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I believe it. I haven't liked chevy's since the 99 model year came out... And the one after that was even uglier... Not to mention the new engines. Must be nice buying a 45k 1 ton with 8.1 only to fill it with a quart of oil every 2000 miles.

Thats why my next purchase is a dodge! Cummins baby! :eek:wned2:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
willyswanter said:
Must be nice buying a 45k 1 ton with 8.1 only to fill it with a quart of oil every 2000 miles.

That would really suck.... I think my dads suburban is just getting to that stage...after 300,000 miles... mine still burns less than 1/2qt every 3k . :rocking: Long live TBI!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whifflebat said:
That would really suck.... I think my dads suburban is just getting to that stage...after 300,000 miles... mine still burns less than 1/2qt every 3k . :rocking: Long live TBI!

I think that is a standard TBI usage. My '89 with 260K on it used 1/2 quart/3000 miles. My '95 does about the same too.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AntiBling said:

I agree, but I am not impressed with the GTO. They shouldda done like ferd did with the '05 mustang. Gone for that vintage style the car was known for.

They also didn't really test what I think a truck is for. I didn't see them haul a load or tow a heavy trailer? That should weigh very heavily on the ratings.

·
Registered
49 Posts
jebx said:
They also didn't really test what I think a truck is for. I didn't see them haul a load or tow a heavy trailer? That should weigh very heavily on the ratings.

Ya, but I think most of their readers who are shopping for pickups are people who think they need them, but dont. When it comes to vehicle decisions I rely on real world testing. Talking to people who own them and use them for the same kinds of things I do.

I dont know too many people who actually use their pickups that read Car & Driver or anything like that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
what i think there doing is comparing these "newer" trucks.with all the latest upgrade.which the chevy is a little behind till they get out the all new chevy(Cheyenne).not that i dont like the chevy,but its what ithink the editors at "C&D" were doing(IMHO)just using the latest new upgrade comparison.i think so far all GM done to the chevy is exterior(again not knocking chevy)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I saw this C&D this weekend and their whole premice for testing was BS. All they did was drive out to the desert, jump them, but they didnt even rate performance then? It was all about styling and interiors.

The thing that got me, they said the chevy interior is outdated. I thought the newest interiors are the most comfortable. Then they complained that the toyota interior was too much like a camry interior and not like a truck. Meaning, they thought it was too nice for a truck. WTF, where do they get this shit.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
willyswanter said:
I believe it. I haven't liked chevy's since the 99 model year came out... And the one after that was even uglier... Not to mention the new engines. Must be nice buying a 45k 1 ton with 8.1 only to fill it with a quart of oil every 2000 miles.

Thats why my next purchase is a dodge! Cummins baby! :eek:wned2:
As long as that Dodge is a pavement pounder you'll have good luck with it, kinda. But I agree, today's Chevy's are made for the road and nothing else. I think Chevy has some of the best gas engines on the market. But this is in a field with other full size trucks. Hemi no comment, Ford - just stick to the diesel and nothing else. I am semi impressed with my lil 5.3 it doesn't have a ton of power but I have hauled some heavy ass loads and she made it (barely).

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
The only good thing about the new GTO is the engine (5.7L LS1, 350 hp, 365 lb-ft torque). I agree with C&D when they said that styling is boring. I think GM wasn't thinking enough. They basicly took a Holden Monaro, put a different grille on it, and called it the GTO. Jebx was right, they should have done what Ford did with the 05 Mustang.

Personally, I think they should bring back the Chevelle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts