GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just got a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain. It was supposed to come with Apple CarPlay as part of its intellink. It seems it doesn’t have CarPlay. Do I have any options to get CarPlay? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Yes. You have to pay $800 for the new module.

Only about half the 2016s received the new CarPlay.

In 2017 is when they all did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Do I just buy one? Are there specific places that sell the modular? Does it have a name? Part number that you know of? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Gen5diy can sell you one.

I can assure you car play isn’t worth the money to add it. I never use it, it’s not very user intuitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting. Without CarPlay, how do you show your phones gps on the intellenk screen?

·
Registered
272 Posts
CarPlay is awesome but I don’t understand why none of the US car companies still don’t have WIRELESS CarPlay in their vehicles. It uses WiFi instead of Bluetooth to transfer data so there’s enough bandwidth. Seems counterintuitive to have to plug your phone in to make CarPlay work when everything else including charging is wireless. I installed a Pioneer and just keep my phone in my pocket. Everything I need to do with my phone can be done on the HU touchscreen, and things like texting can be done by voice. You might want to see how much a stereo shop can install a good aftermarket HU with wireless CarPlay for. $800 for a module that’s a step back in time seems stupid to me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I added carplay to my 2014 Silverado and the Denali Cluster the full works it’s nice to have but depends on the price as I bought all my modules so I just had to pay for the programming which wasn’t that bad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I just got a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain. It was supposed to come with Apple CarPlay as part of its intellink. It seems it doesn’t have CarPlay. Do I have any options to get CarPlay? Thank you.

I was in the same boat, just bought my 2016 and mine didn't work either.

Found a thread on XDA developers forum that talks about the same topic.

It won't let me post the link because this is my first post, i'll try and post it right after this.

Called my dealership and asked them about Service Bulletin #16-NA-042 per that thread.

They updated the firmware in my car, now carplay works.

Took an hour.

They said they were going to charge me 1hr labor, but they ended up not charging me because I had just bought the vehicle from them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey! Thank you. I did try a dealership first, they did an update on the car stereo but it didn’t help. I was able to find a place through one of the above links... waiting on it to show up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts