GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this has kind of sparked my intrest but I don't really know how to go about it. I know computers pretty well and can build my own system but it would just be nice to find a prebuilt system...Basically, I need links to information, parts, prebuilt systems...stuff like that. Also, if you have any knowledge, feel free to give me ur .02

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
DemoN said:
www.mp3car.com

i'm in progress of building one now...been using this link alot. :D

Basically i'm going HU-less. Linux based, Run only off the sound card, with a 7" LCD screen and an IR romote. i haven't figured out the whole convertor thing yet....but i will.

Converter thing? mp3car.com makes and sells a 12v ATX power supply. Might work nicely :)
Which linux do you plan on using anyway?

I'm planning on building one...someday, like everything else :bawl:. Right now the plan is to build it into a console, complete with LCD, maybe a touchpad so I can run GPS software, and then either a wireless keyboard or a plug for a keyboard so I can do on-the-fly TBI chip tuning :) Yep. Someday.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
just get you a converter, mini atx board and all the little extras
hell that 12v 90watt power supply is $149! and the 150 is $189? screw that. Just make sure the truck is started before you fire up the carputer or shut it down before you start it if voltage gets too low

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
Does anybody have one of these "carputers" in their ride?

I'm thinking about doing something like this in a custom console, but I was looking for more info on a GUI that would be simple to navigate and interface with my stereo, but still allow me access to the normal computer functions if I wanted.
Something nice like what this guy did:

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Yeah it's prolly bout the same kinda thing. Stardock the company that makes blinds has done some work for the movie industry as well. Like when you watch a movie and see a computer screen with a totally cool OS it's just skinned or a dummy program.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took all the guts out of my old 800Mhz computer and mounted them into a new console I built. I have a radeon all in wonder video card with a tv tuner and a dvd-rom that plays on a 14" lcd monitor. It's powered by an 800 watt coleman inverter that i rigged with a remote switch to shut it off from the drivers seat. I use a handheld mouse and IR keyboard for control and sound comes from a little FM modulator hooked to the sound card.

It's not the best looking truckputer i've seen but it was done a college kid budget. Truckputers are awesome if you like to tinker with stuff. If you want something to work perfectly the first time you might want to pick another mod to work on...

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
halecj said:
Does anybody have one of these "carputers" in their ride?

I'm thinking about doing something like this in a custom console, but I was looking for more info on a GUI that would be simple to navigate and interface with my stereo, but still allow me access to the normal computer functions if I wanted.
Something nice like what this guy did:
I don't think that guy did that, it looks like Media Engine and it runs over winamp .. check it out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts