GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so after googling I still don't understand this stuff that well so I'm ask on here... My truck is a 2012 Silverado 1500 with the regular 10 bolt rear end. I made the mistake initially of just going with 4.10's (the local performance shop owner was trying to peddle his TVS2300 twin screw blower onto me, claiming I was better off with 4.10's if I went with the twin screw blower, should have known I wasn't gonna go forced induction from the start as I drive the truck more like an old man anyway lol). So when I regeared from the factory 3.42's I just went with GM 4.10's which was a mistake to begin with for 22x14's and 35's lol. Now I wanna be regear it with some 4.88's as I have bought some 37's I would like to run. My question (from the reading that I have done) is will the 10 bolt's carrier that is in the truck support 4.88 gears or will I have to change it as well? Also will the front differential work with 4.88 gears? Sorry for the book, just trying to figure this out with my tax refund

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'm pretty sure a carrier uses either a thick cut ring or a thin cut ring depending on the ratio you are going with. They have the two different specs to accommodate which carrier you use iirc.

http://www.crawlpedia.com/thick_gears.htm

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
I rebuilt four 10-bolt rear ends before upgrading to a 14 bolt... Something to think about before dropping money into a 10-bolt.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
For what it's worth, they may not even offer a thick 4.88 for the GM 10bolt; and if they did it would be for the 2.56/down carrier. Just a normal 4.88 will be fine since your axle had 3.42 from the factory.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
14bolt FF ftw...going to have to get hub adapters unless you want to buy new rims

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
true enough

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks everybody for the responses & my apologies on mine taking so long (busy weekend). I knew the 14 bolt SF was an option but didn't want to have to drop that much on one; however I may look into it now. I also know that running the 10 bolt with wheels & tires that big is a risk, but I honestly baby the truck. My only concern would be when I do tow that it might give me issues. If I can find a 14 bolt SF w/ 6 lug from a Vmax as previously mentioned for a decent deal I'll gladly jump on it haha. The guy at the shop had said something to the effect of making sure that the front differential's carrier was capable of running a 4.88 as well; my question is that if the rear's is capable, wouldn't the front's be capable as well or are they designed differently?

http://www.crawlpedia.com/thick_gears.htm

after reading thru the table provided earlier by one of y'all on here it would appear that the 8.25" IFS & 8.6" 10 bolt that my truck has would both be capable of running 4.88's, correct? I know Daniel (got a lot of respect for him & his builds) said he thought it would be but I figured a little reading on my part never hurt haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts