GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped out the 4.3l in my '92 Sierra for a good used engine. Before the swap, the old engine had a noisy valve train and was burning a lot of oil from what I suspect was about 300k+ miles with spotty maintenance. Before the swap, both injector pigtails had shorted out and melted the connectors at the injectors due to previous owner's carelessness in leaving the leads out of the notch at some point. Anyway, after replacing the pigtails, it seemed that the ECM was toast, not throwing any codes and dumping fuel bad enough to make it look like a diesel starting up cold.

So, before the swap, I replaced the pigtails and the ECM, but the black smoke continued. I left it alone, figuring to correct everything in the swap. Once the new-to-me engine was in, with a newly rebuilt injector pod from TBI Guys, new IAC, new MAP, new rear main seal and oil pan gasket, new engine mounts and new wires, cap and rotor, I fired it up and.....the same black smoke/fuel dump. I've checked my grounds and the main harness connections. Now I need a listing for the OBD 1 codes. I'm going to have to get the codes and look them up, but I just needed to vent and to start a thread in case I don't run the problem down on my own.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts