GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Profit
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide how to set up an antenna for my CB. I like the clean look of the Firestik mounted on the rear bumper. What I'm concerned about is how the range would be affected by the proximity of the antenna to the body. Should I run 2 Firestiks to compensate or would 1 be enough? I want to make the most of the radio.

·
|=====TK=====|
523 Posts
I'm trying to decide how to set up an antenna for my CB. I like the clean look of the Firestik mounted on the rear bumper. What I'm concerned about is how the range would be affected by the proximity of the antenna to the body. Should I run 2 Firestiks to compensate or would 1 be enough? I want to make the most of the radio.
It's unlikely that two antenna's mounted on the rear bumper will help more than just one. Usually two antenna's are harder to tune also. As a rule of thumb, the higher you can mount the antenna the better your CB will work. However, many people have mounted their antenna on the bumper and it seems to work fine. Do yourself a favor and use an SWR meter to check your standing wave. The lower the number the better. Too high (SWR's) or a bad antenna setup and you will blow the finals in the CB. Hope that helps.
-TK

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Personally, I would get a magnetic Wilson antenna, or either get a Antennex CB antenna that mounts in the roof of the vehicle. yes it takes cutting a hole in the roof, but it will look much cleaner.

And unless you really need 2 antenna's, no. Don't run them. Unless they're a certain length away from each other they will cancel each other out causing loss in performance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts