GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry this is kind of sloppy and my camera was dying so i only had a little bit of time to take pictures :crazy: i purchased the PA speaker from Radio Shack for $15 (make sure it's an outdoor speaker) and i bought everything else from FRYS electronics... all of this costed just under $100...

OK.. heres the picture of the antenna mounted on the front left portion of my bed... it feeds down a hole in he bed right below the antenna:

after feeding the wire down the hole i ran it along the emergency break cables (don't directly attach the wire to the emergency break cables... run it along something comfortably far from the emergency break cables, like me) and pardon my ugly zip-tying skills:

Here is the wire coming up right behind the front left fenderwell (ugly zip-tie again:

and here is the picture of it coming up from the fender well (the black wire, this is also under the hood):

then i fed the wire through the firewall (you can also see the PA wire in this picture):

And finially i hooked the wire up to the main unit which has a CB radio plug-in and also a PA output:

Now for the PA install

I ran the PA wire from the output on the main unit back out through the firewall (the same way i brought the CB radio wire in):

i then ran the wire down the side of the left wheel well:

then i mounted the actual PA speaker on the frame where there was a lot of clearance (right behind the bumper on the left side, notice the tow hooks) and then soldered the wires together):

sorry if this thread is confusing... if you don't understand something feel free to PM or instant message me... have fun guys, don't get in trouble... later... :head: :head:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Why a PA system? :LOL: Did you have to drill into the firewall or were you able to route the wires through an exsisting hole? The antenna mount is okay and I installed an antenna on a HD in the same location but I'm gonna relocate the antenna to the same location as the factory radio antenna but on the driverside.

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why not a PA system... it helps me cope way better with my road rage... if someone cuts your ass off and you honk... they act like nothing happened... if they can hear your voice screaming at them they get a little scared... and not to mention... at night... you can tell them to pull over and they'll think your a cop :x

·
Needs a truck
454 Posts
Haha the wig wags are awesome, one time we were driving at night and the wig wag and the blue light on top accidntelty came on, and these two cars pulled over for us, think we were a cop, funny, but u can get in some serious shit for doin that

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
brock said:
why not a PA system... it helps me cope way better with my road rage... if someone cuts your ass off and you honk... they act like nothing happened... if they can hear your voice screaming at them they get a little scared... and not to mention... at night... you can tell them to pull over and they'll think your a cop :x

Lots of fun in the school parking lot, I used to have one :) Then I burnt out the speaker trying to hook up a bigger amp... :crazy:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
brock said:
I think most places impersonating a cop is a felony ... I'd be carefull if I was you... :whip:

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
after i saw this post awhile ago i was thinking about doing it
i have started to look for the stuff i need and have been searching ebay but i can seem to find a cheap cb with PA outputs, looking for something cheap cause im not sure if i will use the cb or not
where did you get your cb?

·
Banned
487 Posts
dkj1028 said:
after i saw this post awhile ago i was thinking about doing it
i have started to look for the stuff i need and have been searching ebay but i can seem to find a cheap cb with PA outputs, looking for something cheap cause im not sure if i will use the cb or not
where did you get your cb?
i just got a cobra 19ltd with PA for $7.00 on ebay.com

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
ya i actually just bought a really nice cobra for about 30 bucks on ebay

·
Registered
2 Posts
y2kboti said:
Why a PA system? :LOL: Did you have to drill into the firewall or were you able to route the wires through an exsisting hole? The antenna mount is okay and I installed an antenna on a HD in the same location but I'm gonna relocate the antenna to the same location as the factory radio antenna but on the driverside.
Hey, I know this is an old thread, but I was just wondering if you ever got around to mounting the antenna. I wanted to do the exact same thing and am looking for some mounting options.

Thanks y'all

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes I relocated the antenna but I did not wire it up yet. I know it's not difficult to drill into the firewall but I may route the wires up under and into the cab. I found the bracket I used on thedieselpage.com and it fit perfect. I'll be doing the same on my new truck in the near future.

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
you know who makes a good antenna... firestik :read: i installed a single 36" and haven't tuned it yet, but it gets better reception untuned than cheap antennas do tuned.

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
hovisimo said:
you know who makes a good antenna... firestik :read: i installed a single 36" and haven't tuned it yet, but it gets better reception untuned than cheap antennas do tuned.
they do make a good antenna
but you should tune it, it can hurt the cb if it is not tuned correctly

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
dkj1028 said:
they do make a good antenna
but you should tune it, it can hurt the cb if it is not tuned correctly
i know, waiting on a mount. right now i have it ghetto rigged.

·
Registered
30 Posts
K-40.

I used to have a firestik, but after it got stolen off my jeep (lol, who steals a cb antenna...) I bought a 3-foot K-40 Superflex Fiberglass antenna and it is absolutely awesome. Check out pics of my jeep to see. For you guys with trucks, I'd probably get a single 3 or 4 foot fiberglass K-40 or dual it up.

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
i took my truck to a reputable CB shop and the guys there said fiberglass antennas suck. they checked my SWR, which was 2.5, not terrible but not good. i yanked the tip off my firestik and found out why it was $16. it's not tunable. i'll be looking at a stainless antenna as soon as i get the stud mount figured out. i should know something about CB radios given my line of work but i admit i know very little about them, which pisses me off :whyme:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts