GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i jus got a cobra 29 that looks brand new, but i cant get it to to work...i think theres a ground in my cable to my whip, but i cant find any holes or cut spots, my whips mounted on my toolbox and i cant get it to work

any ideas?

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do u mean? its got the setup on my box for bigrig trucks to bolt ontu mirrors, should i put somethin between the antenna and the plate?

and it gets reception, but rarely pics anything up
last i knew everything worked until my old cb went bad on me and wouldnt turn on

·
Registered
180 Posts
if your not gettin good reception check the wherer the antenna is mounted it should have a plastic peice or rubber peice so it wont ground out, and you can always go get it tuned along with your cb, that helps a shit load

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Make sure your coax isn't broken or shorting out somwhere. And make sure your mount is insulated from the mounting surface or it won't pick up doodoo.

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks yall, it was grounded on my mount to the box, but i fixed it now

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
sorry, but I'm going to hijack your thread.

What cb's are the best as far as long distance reception? Right now I'm using one that was laying in the garage, as my dad has 5 of them in a box. Just bought a $20 antenna from radio shack. It does alright, but doesn't pick up signals over a few miles.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Really with the antenna mounted correctly and the SWR's set right, they all recieve about the same. You should get a good antenna like a Wilson or K40. Something of that nature.

·
Registered
180 Posts
yeah get a good antenna take it and get it tuned and also gettin your cb tuned will help along with settin the swr's

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how bout gettin a amp?

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Some truck stops have them, but they cost dearly for good ones.

Good brands are

Texas Star, Palomar, Silver Eagle to name a few.

IF you're not planning on talking hundreds of miles, a good peak/tune on your CB will make it put out about 25 watts which is good for 20+ miles.

·
A Crazy Ass Cowboy!
670 Posts
I have a Cobra 29 LTD Classic that has been peeked and tuned and the cost to have that done was not to bad and I also have a 450 watt palamar amp and I got a really sweet deal on that also. and I have it all running to a 102' SS whip mounted in the center of my toolbox and trust me It talks :crazy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts