GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about ordering a CCM 2.5" but I wanted to know about the install. I searched but couldnt really find anything. Is this something that is pretty easy to do? Can it be done in a driveway in a couple hours or something i should take to a shop. Any advice and pics are appreciated. Thanks.

·
07SilveradoNoob
1,315 Posts
Do it yourself, I used hand tools my first time, had it done easily.

Basically all your doing is removing the strut assembly(3 bolts/top-- 2/bottom) and bolt the spacer on top. All the other parts stay on the truck, altough you'll loosen/seperate some--TREs, UCA, etc.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
grinding of the studs too

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Did one about a week ago in my garage in under an hour, used a cut off wheel to shorten the studs. its so easy.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Did one about a week ago in my garage in under an hour, used a cut off wheel to shorten the studs. its so easy.
cut-off wheel works the best (3" type)

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
True story, I tried using a hacksaw (think thats what its called) first, got pissed and pulled out the grinder w/cut-off wheel.
hahah I tried a Sawz-All first...:nono: not a good experience.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What all needs to be unbolted to take the struts out?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
CCM kit comes with pretty good instructions but ill give you the basics from what I remember

Block rear wheels, jack up front of the truck, support frame on jackstands so front tires are off the ground

Remove front, wheels/tires

Remove 3 bolts from under the hood that hold the strut assembly on

remove 2 bolts that hold the strut on the bottom

remove ball joint nut

disconnect abs cable

tap UCA with hammer to release balljoint, pull out strut assembly

cut off the studs (3 threads down from the top is where I cut mine and that worked)

bolt spacer on strut,

Install strut w/ spacer in truck, torque everything down, enjoy your level truck.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
CCM kit comes with pretty good instructions but ill give you the basics from what I remember

Block rear wheels, jack up front of the truck, support frame on jackstands so front tires are off the ground

remove ball joint nut

disconnect abs cable

cut off the studs (3 threads down from the top is where I cut mine and that worked)

bolt spacer on strut,

Install strut w/ spacer in truck, torque everything down, enjoy your level truck.
what about the swaybar?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
ah yeah, I didn't have to do that to get the strut out but to get it back in it has to be disconnected. Good catch,

·
Heavy Metal Machine
619 Posts
Took about an hour....though my "helper" knows his $hit. The CCM is a great bang for the buck.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
i don't remember but we did something.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
First install I did I switched the pass to the drv side, however I like to do one side at a time so I found that you can easily take a hammer and tap the mount which turns the shock around 180deg on the shaft...works great.

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts

remove ball joint nut

disconnect abs cable

bolt spacer on strut,

I'll add a couple things to this...

1. Install the spacer BEFORE you cut the studs. That way you are ensured to only cut the necessary amount and it will be an even cut.

2. Get an alignment when you're done!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts