GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am removing my add a leaf from my truck and was wondering if I can use the center pin that came with the add a leafs or if it would work. Nobody has stock center pins. I checked out 4 wheel parts, kragen, autozone, my uncles chevy dealership, nobody has them or can even get them as they dont even show up on their computers. What do you all recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure. I havent taken them out to see. Its my only vehicle so dont wnt to leave it stranded while searching for it.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
most center pins ive seen thread all the way down. dorman/HELP! makes universal ones. you are looking in the right spots, just talking to the wrong people it sounds like.

·
Lifted 2wd
389 Posts
You should be fine. I removed my AAL and had plenty of thread left on the bolt. I've also made my own with a grade 8 bolt and a disc grinder.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O ok so it literally just threads in there so if there wasnt enough thread I could run some washers to make them? I shall be posting pics, cali lean haters get ready haha

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Word of advice. I have seen 2 pins fail in the same day. To upgrade to a better type use a Grade 8 bolt and grind the hear round. The center pins are SOOOO soft.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait I thought they werent used though for anything except basically guiding them and that the u bolts pressure the springs together?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Wait I thought they werent used though for anything except basically guiding them and that the u bolts pressure the springs together?
typically aren't, but bolts can strech and you dont want to lose a lil torque on u bolts and not realize it and break a center pin. ive done it before as well. shit happens when you abuse trucks.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Yes technically, but over years of DD and months of hard wheeling things will loosen up and if the ubolts loosen up the Center pin will be the failure point.

·
To busy too care
281 Posts
Go on dormanproducts.com, type in "spring center bolt" under the p/n search field and it gives you all different diameters and lengths that you can order from any auto parts store.

like everybody said, I also use grade 8 bolts though.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got it done today. Wasnt as hard as I expected. I ended up reusing the center pin since I literally have replaced my u bolts four times in the past 6 months so wasnt to worried about it. I will let the springs settle a bit more since I still dont think its at stock height yet. I have the add a leafs out with stock blocks and its still taller than my dads 99 z71 and his tires are an inch taller than mine. I reckon I will give them a few weeks and see how they settle after the removal of the add a leafs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts