GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
In Valor There Is Hope
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ceramic coated my brand new set of American Force Grip's. They were mounted on the tires and then coated before ever being installed on the truck. The kit and product seems great, HOWEVER after driving through several rainy days I've noticed some water spots that I just can't get off. Also some of the brake dust/dirt stains i'm unable to get off. I'd say 90% of the crap I can get off. I called and spoke to two different guys and each gave me different things to try. First I was told to try detail spray and waterless wash (which helped somewhat, but not 100%), and if that didn't work to clay bar the wheels. When I called to order the clay bay I was told not to use it because it's too abrasive and could pull off the coating. I was told to instead use brilliant glaze, which I did (and it did not help). I was going to try #2 metal polish lightly by hand but was told not to. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my billet wheels so the water spots are killing me. I also have spent literally thousands on Adams Products and don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I don't need/that won't work. I'm wondering what to do to get these stains off the wheels. Here are some pictures of what i'm talking about.

·
142 Posts
I recently ceramic coated my brand new set of American Force Grip's. They were mounted on the tires and then coated before ever being installed on the truck. The kit and product seems great, HOWEVER after driving through several rainy days I've noticed some water spots that I just can't get off. Also some of the brake dust/dirt stains i'm unable to get off. I'd say 90% of the crap I can get off. I called and spoke to two different guys and each gave me different things to try. First I was told to try detail spray and waterless wash (which helped somewhat, but not 100%), and if that didn't work to clay bar the wheels. When I called to order the clay bay I was told not to use it because it's too abrasive and could pull off the coating. I was told to instead use brilliant glaze, which I did (and it did not help). I was going to try #2 metal polish lightly by hand but was told not to. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my billet wheels so the water spots are killing me. I also have spent literally thousands on Adams Products and don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I don't need/that won't work. I'm wondering what to do to get these stains off the wheels. Here are some pictures of what i'm talking about.

Not the same surface, but my sprinkler water (from a well) mists on a front window on my house, make up a mix of vinegar and baking soda, rub it on, let sit, rinse with water and the spots are gone. Like I said, not the same surface, don't know the effects of that mix on a ceramic coated chrome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
In Valor There Is Hope
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not the same surface, but my sprinkler water (from a well) mists on a front window on my house, make up a mix of vinegar and baking soda, rub it on, let sit, rinse with water and the spots are gone. Like I said, not the same surface, don't know the effects of that mix on a ceramic coated chrome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The stains will come right out with #1 and #2, the issue is it could damage the coating. I need to find a way to get them out that won't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
If the coating is giving you issues polish it out and go back to the way that worked on the nnbs AF wheels and get your money back from Adams. Your nnbs AF's always looked great.

·
In Valor There Is Hope
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the coating is giving you issues polish it out and go back to the way that worked on the nnbs AF wheels and get your money back from Adams. Your nnbs AF's always looked great.
I'm hoping there's an easy way to get it out without removing the coating

·
Registered
725 Posts
Sounds like the spots are down into the coating. Polishing may be your only choice. Try to polish with something a little less abrasive first

·
In Valor There Is Hope
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the spots are down into the coating. Polishing may be your only choice. Try to polish with something a little less abrasive first

I tried the brilliant glaze which didn't do anything. I didn't think the #2 was that abrasive. I can't see how clay bar is ok, but #2 isn't....

·
Denali Pride
4 Posts
Return that Adams garbage and purchase CarPro products. Did you let the coating cure for 24 hours before doing anything with the wheels? I'm not sure what Adams recommends but I've seen most state 24 hours and then a couple days to a week before you can clean the coated surface.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
725 Posts
I can't speak to Adams products because I haven't used them in a very long time. With that said, I'm not sure how abrasive #2 is. The glaze shouldnt have any abrasive properties at all. If it were me, I'd try using a finishing polish. I don't see a clay bar doing any good for the problem that you have. I coated a black Mercedes with GTechniq EXO coating that had spots after it got wet that wouldn't come off easily. I ended up doing a light polish on the whole car to get the spots off of the coating. X2 on the Car Pro products.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mine are uncoated, but for reference I wash, dry, spray detail, use CG "Light" polish (which supposedly offers a little bit of a sealant if you let it sit) and then touch up with a spray detail and have had no issues getting rid of any spots or stains. I'd assume the water ate into the coating?

Edit: I use the Griots wheel clay every couple polishes for stubborn brake dust etc. and it pulls off a surprising amount of junk. As mentioned above, I don't think that's your issue though.

·
In Valor There Is Hope
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Return that Adams garbage and purchase CarPro products. Did you let the coating cure for 24 hours before doing anything with the wheels? I'm not sure what Adams recommends but I've seen most state 24 hours and then a couple days to a week before you can clean the coated surface.

The wheels sat in my garage for almost 2 months......

·
In Valor There Is Hope
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't speak to Adams products because I haven't used them in a very long time. With that said, I'm not sure how abrasive #2 is. The glaze shouldnt have any abrasive properties at all. If it were me, I'd try using a finishing polish. I don't see a clay bar doing any good for the problem that you have. I coated a black Mercedes with GTechniq EXO coating that had spots after it got wet that wouldn't come off easily. I ended up doing a light polish on the whole car to get the spots off of the coating. X2 on the Car Pro products.

That's kind of my thinking too

·
In Valor There Is Hope
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
#2 with a soft hex grip did NOT work, however #1 with a microfiber block and some pressure did. Not 100% thrilled with the ceramic coating especially considering it's only been one week. Goes back to the "too good to be true" adage I suppose.........

·
Registered
725 Posts
Don't lump them all in the same basket. I've been using CQuartz with no issues for a couple of years. Thought I'd swap over to GTechniq because of hearing all of the good reviews and was not happy at all. Not to mention it cost me several hours of additional polishing after the fact due to spots. For what it's worth, I never got an explanation of what happened to mine from customer support either.

·
Denali Pride
4 Posts
#2 with a soft hex grip did NOT work, however #1 with a microfiber block and some pressure did. Not 100% thrilled with the ceramic coating especially considering it's only been one week. Goes back to the "too good to be true" adage I suppose.........

Not true....
Don't lump them all in the same basket. I've been using CQuartz with no issues for a couple of years. Thought I'd swap over to GTechniq because of hearing all of the good reviews and was not happy at all. Not to mention it cost me several hours of additional polishing after the fact due to spots. For what it's worth, I never got an explanation of what happened to mine from customer support either.

+1

·
Professional Bitcoin Investor
123 Posts
Mineral spirits, zephyr show stopper and flannel wheel, and white diamond is all you need

·
In Valor There Is Hope
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Not true....

+1

It IS true because it did not hold up......

For all the work the CC involved every spot and stain should wipe off, not need to be polished out. Adams CC is supposedly "harder" than CQuartz which is why I went with them

1 - 20 of 52 Posts