GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always resurfaced the rotors when I did a brake job but I hate these pads I got with the new rotors. They dont have too many miles on them yet. Has anyone ever just changed the brake pads and not resurfaced the rotors? As with just about any NBS rotor, they are throw aways, so I cant resurface and they are drilled/ slotted.

·
JUGS Racing
1,199 Posts
If the rotor surface still has the anti directional lines on them then you should be ok.

Also when customers were too cheap to replace rotors I would get a green sanding disc with my right angle die grinder and go over the rotor surface to half ass roughen it up for the new pads.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
I didn't resurface my rotors when I put new pads on the 05. Pads seem to be fine, rotors are still fine and the truck brakes exceptionally well to be as heavy as it is. You should be fine.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! I have some no name ceramic pads and they arent doin' too well when I pull my trailer 99% of time. Imma try some Wagner semi-metalics.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
I use Wagner Thermoquiets on nearly everything. I love them. I normally buy from Advance and use these codes. I bought 3 big containers of brake fluid, a set of Wagner Thermo Quiet rear pads ($58), caliper slide-pin grease, anti-squeal, and 3 cans of brake cleaner all for $48. :jester:

$10 off $30 w/coupon code ES123
$20 off $50 w/coupon code ES123
$25 off $60 w/coupon code BIG25
$30 off $75 w/coupon code BIG30
$40 off $100 w/coupon code BIG40
$50 off $200 via coupon code BIG50

$16 off $40 w/coupon code LC123
$24 off $60 w/coupon code LC123
$32 off $80 w/coupon code LC123
$40 off $100 w/coupon code LC123

·
2009 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71
4,791 Posts
I have *always* replaced my discs when doing a brake job. The price for new, standard, rotors is only a few dollars more than resurfacing.

However, I have skipped resurfacing my drums a few times.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use Wagner Thermoquiets on nearly everything. I love them. I normally buy from Advance and use these codes. I bought 3 big containers of brake fluid, a set of Wagner Thermo Quiet rear pads ($58), caliper slide-pin grease, anti-squeal, and 3 cans of brake cleaner all for $48. :jester:

$10 off $30 w/coupon code ES123
$20 off $50 w/coupon code ES123
$25 off $60 w/coupon code BIG25
$30 off $75 w/coupon code BIG30
$40 off $100 w/coupon code BIG40
$50 off $200 via coupon code BIG50

$16 off $40 w/coupon code LC123
$24 off $60 w/coupon code LC123
$32 off $80 w/coupon code LC123
$40 off $100 w/coupon code LC123
can you stack those codes? and thanks!

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
unfortunately, you cant stack them but you can add stuff to get more stuff free. one order of mine was like $85 or so. If I used the coupon, you get $30 off of $70 which puts you at $55 after the coupon. I added a few more things to the cart (anti-squeal, caliper lube, brake fluid, etc.) to bring the total to $101.xx and used the coupon for $40 off of $100. So for an extra $5, I got another $15 worth of stuff. Pretty nice coupons to have :imo I think they work on most stuff except oil and batteries. I simply put the order in online so I can use the coupon code and then I pick it up in store an hour later.

·
AKA Sugar Plum
2,023 Posts
Also when customers were too cheap to replace rotors I would get a green sanding disc with my right angle die grinder and go over the rotor surface to half ass roughen it up for the new pads.
when i worked in a shop we did the same, brown/red cookie (disc) for the mating surface and the coarse green disc to roughen up the rotor so the pads will bite the rotor and not glaze over.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
I simply put the order in online so I can use the coupon code and then I pick it up in store an hour later.
:word:

I get 40% off everything at Advance Auto by using those codes wisely. You can't stack them but you can re-use them on consecutive orders, so if you want to buy $200 worth of stuff put in two $100 orders with LC123 (or BIG40) and get both orders for $60 each.

Also there's code VISA which is another multi-size coupon like LC123. I don't remember exactly what it does at lower amounts but it gives you $50 off a $150 order...you're better off with the other codes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.