GMC Truck Forum banner

Changed Intermittent Shaft Still Noisy

815 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  silverta16 
#1 ·
First off my 2005 was a flood truck. Was clunking in the steering wheel horribly, I read on here and knew what the problem was. Ended up having to pull the column almost all the way out to gain clearance to install the new GM shaft I got today. The old one was rusted solid didn't have any give to it at all. Got it all back together and it still has a noise clinking or rattle. Seems like I'd heard about a bearing that could also be replaced? I was wondering if this was most likely what is still noisy? I'd imagine where the shaft had zero give it probably gave or wore the plastic bearing. Is it hard to replace? It is better than when I started but still has an annoying clinking.

#2 ·
The bearing is not to hard to replace. You just have to disconnect the part you just replaced. You would have to use the redesigned GM green bearing. I dont know the pn of it but you can google it and find it for sale. My truck was a 1 owner truck when I bought it and it had the green bearing in the column. I think the original owner had warranty work done and got it replaced with the green bearing to fix the rattling. The thing is this didnt solve the rattling. What I did was put an exhaust clamp on there to bind the bearing to the column and eliminate the play in it. Did this 4 months ago and no problems.

#3 ·
Bought my 2005 with 59,000 miles last year it was a 1 owner cream puff before the flood lol. It has the white bearing. I may get a green bearing and end up clamping it also. I saw how it spins on the column almost 1/4 inch in every direction. Did you just clamp over the middle of the plastic or half on the plastic and half on the column?

#4 ·
With the green bearing you just clamp it over the column. I used a hose clamp on my gf's 05 with the white bearing and clamped it over the plastic stuff.

#6 ·
Replaced the white bearing with the green one, it was very easy to do. It still had some noise. I clamped it with a 2 inch clamp and had to tighten it pretty tight, but it finally got quiet. I drove through the field and kept adjusting it until it got quiet enough. Bad design I guess but the clamp did the trick. I also realized the new green bearing appears to go in upside down or 180 degrees different than the white one. The tab that is cut into the column, and the tab that's made on the green part is flipped compared to the white bearing. The old white bearings having an actual roller bearing inside the plastic, but the green one just has a new plastic sleeve type bearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.