GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think after finding out prices from FLT and a local tranny shop, that i just don't have that kind of money right now. I was looking at Jim Parish's site last night, reading his different pages on what he did to his truck. Driveline wise he had previously had 60E's for tranny's and broke them all. I know now he has a fully built FLT 80E, but he had mentioned that he was tired of breaking his 60's so he did the 80E conversion, he had bought one out of a junkyard with like 50 or 60,000 miles on it, put the transgo, and it survived his application for some time, and he recommends doing that swap and if it worked for his HP then it will surely work for mine, and i am for sure doing a 6.0 swap in the near future, so since the truck is out of comission, i say do it now. I know it will just take some searching on here and PT.net for HOW To's on that swap, but just wanted to let you guys know that this is what i want to do, and F%$# the 60E and the B&M verter. I want the 80E and a Yank 2600 or 3000, do it right or don't do it at all. Any tips on doing this swap, any good sites with step by step, what i need to buy, electrical hookups, Shim, Driveshaft lengths, Crossmember INFO. ANything would be great.

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, where is a good place to get an 80E, i was think a local junkyard should do the trick, where is a good place, maybe close to San Diego.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had an 80e conversion done after several broken 60's.

Here is mostly everything you will need;
80e trans and converter, 80e 6.0 flexplate, crankshaft spacer, dip stick tube, shifter bracket, new or modified crossmember, VSS speed sensor, 80e trans file for the pcm, new driveshaft yolk, and a tune to dail it in.

I think that is everything.

Something worth noting - Although the 80e is very strong in factory form, you are going to pay the price in drivetrain losses and a very crappy first gear. 2.48 ratio vs. the 60e 3.06. Bottom line is that it is not going to get out of the hole well, but you will have a trans that will take some abuse. And.. it will be way more fun to drive on the freeway.

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it's already kinda a dog out of the whole anyway with the 22's. But the stall converter will help. I know after a little research i do need tranny cooler lines extensions, or longer ones, dipstick something or other. I have HPTuners, so no problem re-programming. I looked at a site for the conversion kit, $3,200 w/ the 80E tranny, i think i can get one out of the junk yard with lower mileage and just get the conversion parts separately.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
You can do that swap for a hell of a lot less than $3200. The converter will be the big ticket item. Hugues makes a decent 3k one. TCI probably does too.

Once my valve body only built 60E shits, I think I'm going to run a parts yard 80E for a bit before I go through it.

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yah, i think i'm going with speed engineering for all the conversion parts, it's gonna run me right at $1000 for everything, then the stall, which i am buying tonight, the Yank TT2600, that's $450, and then i just have to find a decent 80E in the junk yard, shouldn't be too expensive. I think this is gonna work out great, i'll get a good solid tranny, do a swap and learn some shit, and pay half of what my tranny guy was gonna do a 60E for me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
yah, i think i'm going with speed engineering for all the conversion parts, it's gonna run me right at $1000 for everything, then the stall, which i am buying tonight, the Yank TT2600, that's $450, and then i just have to find a decent 80E in the junk yard, shouldn't be too expensive. I think this is gonna work out great, i'll get a good solid tranny, do a swap and learn some shit, and pay half of what my tranny guy was gonna do a 60E for me.
$450 for a TT2600 sounds like the price for a 60e converter...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I'd also run more than 2600rpm stall. It's VERY mild.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
comparing your truck to any of Jim's rigs? :LOL: He's making 3x the hp that you are. He ran the 65e for quite a while, when he was in the 11's in the xcab.

The 80e converters are 850. The 80e cores sell for 500 easy, so you'll be in for 2200 on parts alone. That's only a couple hundred cheaper than the FLT tranny, which has a warranty.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Do you plan on boosting?

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
91 bowtie, i hope you don't think i would honestly compare my truck to jim's, just using his as an example. The 80 verters are much more expensive, but i know for sure i want an 80 in this truck, because i will be boosting it for sure in the future.

·
U-Turn Master
239 Posts
I'd also run more than 2600rpm stall. It's VERY mild.
Yeah if that's all the stall you want, stick with the stock TC. This is a clip of an 80E stock.

th_P1000559.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts
p.m. Dub Silverado on pt.net I think he has all the conversion parts and might be trying to get rid of them. I spent right around 900 for everything from speed-eng. Now I'm looking for a trans.

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yah, already talked to dub. I am gonna purchase everything from SE including the tranny.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts