GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so anyways i was just out changing my oil...i go to pull the oil filter off and the threading that the oil filter actually screws into came out with it...so i just took it off and screwed it back in with a new filter. this has happened once before a while back...is this a major problem? im wondering whats causing it to come out with the filter like that? thanks guys

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,655 Posts
that's just the way its designed, well, not to come out with teh filter, but that's how the adaptor attaches to the block, don't know if I would have just threaded it into the filter and attached them both to the block

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's just the way its designed, well, not to come out with teh filter, but that's how the adaptor attaches to the block, don't know if I would have just threaded it into the filter and attached them both to the block
well i didn't really have any other choice. There is dried oil stains all around th cylinder that the oil filter attaches to but no oil on the driveway so far. My oil pressure is always above 40, so im not too worried about it. I'm thinking a good tightening back into the block will help it stay put.

·
Im walking on sunshine!
5,650 Posts
I would not fuck around with something like that, I would replace the threaded tube that the filter gos on.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would not fuck around with something like that, I would replace the threaded tube that the filter gos on.
:word: i got the impression that tube was just a part of the block though but if i can replace just that, then i will... preciate yalls help

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Happens from over-tightening of the filter. Remember to only hand tighten. If too hard to grip well enough for a good hand grip, tighten as much as you can by hand then 1/4 of a turn with the wrench.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Happens from over-tightening of the filter. Remember to only hand tighten. If too hard to grip well enough for a good hand grip, tighten as much as you can by hand then 1/4 of a turn with the wrench.
now that i think of it, i may have tightened it a little too much. I was a little over due for the oil change also...i bet it has something to do with the filter getting overheated while attached on there

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I thought you're only supposed to turn it 1/4 once the filter touches? I've always only tightened mine by hand.
As long as it's in a good spot, I always just tighten by hand. I had a Honda ( I know :nono: ) that I could just barely get threaded by hand and hand to use a wrench for the rest of the way down. area was too tight for my hands.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,655 Posts
if its any consolation, this happens all the time to many different makes & models

....we all end up doing oil changes when business is slow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts