GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as Ive done even more research on my SFA ive changed some plans and ill update it on my web page soon.

1) I am not going to use the Fabritech brackets, 1700 is way to much to pay. My roomates dad owns a machine shop so I am going to have him help me fabricate my own up. They will replace the front weak spot on the frame and everything. As far as steering a draglink should be SIMPLE to make, and the steering arms can be had for around $100 each.
Total cost: Save about $1200

2) Im running 42" TSLs for sure
Total cost: about $200 more than 40s.

3) Going to try and run some beadlock wheels, dont feel comfortable running 16.5"s in a non beadlock.
Total cost: about $200 a rim vs $100 - $400 more.

4) Going to just buy a divorced ford NP205 so I dont have to deal with adaptors to make mine mount up.
Total cost: ????

What do you all think?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. I don't know a whole lot of things about the SFS but learning slowly. I have met a few guys that did that to their Z and they fabbed up their own brackets and they work well. Saving all that cash on the brackets will help a lot.

You need to add a link on your page about all the stuff you will be selling off your truck for the swap and you might get a few hits.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I like it all but the divorced 205... It's 2 more joints with a whole lot of load on them to wear out/break. Personally, I would run the stock case for now. Wheel the poop out of it for a while, your case isn't going to break anytime soon, and when you save up some cash again you can buy your adapter parts and a case, you can also upgrade the tranny if you plan on it...

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Selling:

-(4) 16x10 Weld Super Single IIs 6 lug with conehead center caps - $700 for the set.

-(5) 315/75/16 X-terrains - by this time pretty worn, probably $25-50 a tire for spares depending on tread left.

-Procomp 6" lift with front CV shaft and 5.5" rear blocks - $700

-NP246 autotrac transfer case - $300

-rear drive shaft - $40

-procomp trac bars with shock kit - $200

-10 bolt rear axle with 3.73 and g80 locker - $200

-(2) front brake calipers - $25 for pair

-(2) front rotors - $25 for pair

-(2) CV half shafts - $50 for pair

-(1) front diff - 3.73 gears - $150

-other misc IFS parts

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
willyswanter said:
I like it all but the divorced 205... It's 2 more joints with a whole lot of load on them to wear out/break. Personally, I would run the stock case for now. Wheel the poop out of it for a while, your case isn't going to break anytime soon, and when you save up some cash again you can buy your adapter parts and a case, you can also upgrade the tranny if you plan on it...
Its autotrac - ive heard of 1 person running it and it burnt up within 500 miles. The front shaft is always turning on it. If I could run it then I would but honestly I dont think I can.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I wonder if you could pick up a NP241 for cheap, I woudln't be surprised if it bolted right up to your tranny, then do what Jason said and upgrade to a 205 and bigger tranny later....

·
2,451 Posts
are you going to put a stick 4x4 lever to work with the new transfercase? could you just put a hd transfercase in there and use the electronic buttons from the hds?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why dont you run a T-case out of a HD? Those arent auto-trac. Or is that the NP241?

·
Buck Nekkid
50 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
2) Im running 42" TSLs for sure
Total cost: about $200 more than 40s.

3) Going to try and run some beadlock wheels, dont feel comfortable running 16.5"s in a non beadlock.
Total cost: about $200 a rim vs $100 - $400 more.

What do you all think?
Are you going to run dual beadlock 16.5's? Or, Trailready's. I think Rockstomper still makes a weld on 16.5 kit. There is also a guy on CK5 that can burn some weld up kits. (He also has a divorced Ford 205 that I sold him :evillol: Not sure if is willing to part w/it. ) Just wondering what tire sizes would work best for you w/the 42's. 15's will work on a 60, you just have to watch you backspacing, &/Or spend a lot of time riding the grinder. :superhack

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont think 15s will work on the back with my disc brake conversion though. I was going to get some of the stazworks one.
http://www.stazworks.com/rims.html

Im going to look into the 241 a little more now also. Anyone know much about them and how much I could pick one up for?

·
Registered
47 Posts
HD's are push button.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All of it will be when I do the SFA...hopefully this aug.

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
I'll take them off your hands if you're willing to sell them seperate from the lift kit this fall sometime.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
96chevysfa said:
you keep changing you mind!!!!! lol, cant wait to see it finnished though.
Not changing my mind, just revising plans so I wont have to do it twise like some people I know - not to point any fingures! :grin:

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Are there any weld on beadlock kits for 16.5? I want to go the beadlock route the same reason as you Dark Eternal but I want to use a good looking rim like the Weld Mountain Crusher.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts