GMC Truck Forum banner

Changes in my SFA plans

2792 22
Well as Ive done even more research on my SFA ive changed some plans and ill update it on my web page soon.

1) I am not going to use the Fabritech brackets, 1700 is way to much to pay. My roomates dad owns a machine shop so I am going to have him help me fabricate my own up. They will replace the front weak spot on the frame and everything. As far as steering a draglink should be SIMPLE to make, and the steering arms can be had for around $100 each.
Total cost: Save about $1200

2) Im running 42" TSLs for sure
Total cost: about $200 more than 40s.

3) Going to try and run some beadlock wheels, dont feel comfortable running 16.5"s in a non beadlock.
Total cost: about $200 a rim vs $100 - $400 more.

4) Going to just buy a divorced ford NP205 so I dont have to deal with adaptors to make mine mount up.
Total cost: ????

What do you all think?
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
5,731 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. I don't know a whole lot of things about the SFS but learning slowly. I have met a few guys that did that to their Z and they fabbed up their own brackets and they work well. Saving all that cash on the brackets will help a lot.

You need to add a link on your page about all the stuff you will be selling off your truck for the swap and you might get a few hits.

· Registered
4,664 Posts
I like it all but the divorced 205... It's 2 more joints with a whole lot of load on them to wear out/break. Personally, I would run the stock case for now. Wheel the poop out of it for a while, your case isn't going to break anytime soon, and when you save up some cash again you can buy your adapter parts and a case, you can also upgrade the tranny if you plan on it...

· Drive It Like Ya Stole It
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Selling:

-(4) 16x10 Weld Super Single IIs 6 lug with conehead center caps - $700 for the set.

-(5) 315/75/16 X-terrains - by this time pretty worn, probably $25-50 a tire for spares depending on tread left.

-Procomp 6" lift with front CV shaft and 5.5" rear blocks - $700

-NP246 autotrac transfer case - $300

-rear drive shaft - $40

-procomp trac bars with shock kit - $200

-10 bolt rear axle with 3.73 and g80 locker - $200

-(2) front brake calipers - $25 for pair

-(2) front rotors - $25 for pair

-(2) CV half shafts - $50 for pair

-(1) front diff - 3.73 gears - $150

-other misc IFS parts

7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
willyswanter said:
I like it all but the divorced 205... It's 2 more joints with a whole lot of load on them to wear out/break. Personally, I would run the stock case for now. Wheel the poop out of it for a while, your case isn't going to break anytime soon, and when you save up some cash again you can buy your adapter parts and a case, you can also upgrade the tranny if you plan on it...
Its autotrac - ive heard of 1 person running it and it burnt up within 500 miles. The front shaft is always turning on it. If I could run it then I would but honestly I dont think I can.

· Buck Nekkid
76 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
2) Im running 42" TSLs for sure
Total cost: about $200 more than 40s.

3) Going to try and run some beadlock wheels, dont feel comfortable running 16.5"s in a non beadlock.
Total cost: about $200 a rim vs $100 - $400 more.

What do you all think?
Are you going to run dual beadlock 16.5's? Or, Trailready's. I think Rockstomper still makes a weld on 16.5 kit. There is also a guy on CK5 that can burn some weld up kits. (He also has a divorced Ford 205 that I sold him :evillol: Not sure if is willing to part w/it. ) Just wondering what tire sizes would work best for you w/the 42's. 15's will work on a 60, you just have to watch you backspacing, &/Or spend a lot of time riding the grinder. :superhack

7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
96chevysfa said:
you keep changing you mind!!!!! lol, cant wait to see it finnished though.
Not changing my mind, just revising plans so I wont have to do it twise like some people I know - not to point any fingures! :grin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.