GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the rear differential on a 2006 Sierra 1500 w/ G-80 have a drain plug for the fluid or do you have to remove the cover? If it doesn't have a drain plug has anyone tried using an oil pump to pump the fluid out?

G

·
Some of those trucks do and some don't. The best way to see if you have one or not is to get under the truck.:lol:

If it doesn't have a drain plug, it's in your best interest to remove the cover to drain the oil. It would be tough to get all that oil out with a pump...not to mention the stuff left behind would likely be the nastiest stuff.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Some of those trucks do and some don't. The best way to see if you have one or not is to get under the truck.:lol:

If it doesn't have a drain plug, it's in your best interest to remove the cover to drain the oil. It would be tough to get all that oil out with a pump...not to mention the stuff left behind would likely be the nastiest stuff.
:word: tap your own drain plug :imo and add a magnet too .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about it but it was waaayyyyyyy down there:roflsquared: I actually wasn't positive where they put them on the newer GM trucks, I had heard stories of people changing their fluid multiple times before they figured out they had a plug. I guess I'll just have to check it out and see.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the rear done, it looks like I was several thousand miles late, that stuff looked like crap. There weren't many metal shavings but there was some thick goo looked kinda like moly lube that was clinging to everything.

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
Just unbolt the cover, that way you can get all the metal shavings out.

Best way.

Tip: DO NOT BUT A NAPA GASKET ITS A TOTAL PIECE OF CRAP. There about half the thickness of a stock gasket and both that i had leaked out of the top of the cover. Use RTV or get a GM gasket.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I changed the rear end fluid in my truck today and i also used RTV, works great. I also replaced the factory diff cover bolts with stainless ones. Looks sweet.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
i guess i lucked out with mine having the drain plug and magnet on the cover. thank god for the magnet because it caught most my shavings when my spider gears decided to eat themselves.

I changed the rear end fluid in my truck today and i also used RTV, works great. I also replaced the factory diff cover bolts with stainless ones. Looks sweet.
where did you pick up stainless ones? i'm trying to figure out what size they are. i went and picked up some gold zinc ones from the hardware store but they were the wrong size.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Bolts are 8mm from memory.
I use stainless allen key type in mine.
I also installed a fill/drain/view sight glass.

P4290043.jpg

Just need to touch up the epoxy coating.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
link to that drain plug?

·
GMC Owner
1,464 Posts
so how do you add fluid to the diff if the only way to get the oil out is to take the cover off? through the breather hose?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts