GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
formerly "miamigrant"
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year after tons of research I decided to go with DJM's 3/6 drop for my '08 and installed it at 1K miles on the truck. I wanted the best ride, alignment, and basically no worries long term (this was also my 3rd DJM kit). It has the UCA's'/LCA's for the front and flip kit in the rear with their shocks. I added McGaughy's helper bags in the rear for towing/hauling. I'm not bashing DJM by any means, every install is somewhat unique and most have good results but here is what I've found after about 10K miles:

1) During the install everything went smooth except my driver side upper ball joint required 4 washers just to get the nut down far enough to meet the cotter pin. A call to DJM was fruitless, they said I drilled too much out of the spindle and the ball joint seated too low. I used a 1/2" bit like they said and took a tiny whisp of material out same as the passenger side which required no washers.

2) Within a couple thousand miles the driver side front started leaning 1 1/4". I took measurements before and after the install and everything was good, but now I have this lean that results in serious rubbing only on this side. The lean drives me nuts, I can see it from miles away and it affects how I drive because that tire is always rubbing in corners.

3) There is an odd clunk when I hit bumps at low speed. Not sure what the cause is but Several times I have had to tighten the pivot points on the LCA's and I can't seem to get them tight enough to stop them from moving freely inside the bushing. You can grab them and shake them on the bushing both driver and passenger.

4) Found out today the driver lower ball joint is shot and several of the boots are deteriorated/separated. You can move the spindle up and down about 1/4" without moving the LCA. Also discovered the front tires are trashed on the inside.

5) Calmax rear shocks are a joke. The sleeves were too short and sucked in my brackets and they ride like a bus.

By the way it aligned great (twice for different tire/wheel setups) and the install went smooth so I really didn't expect any of this. The quality of the fabrications in the kit are top notch in my opinion, but these issues have me thinking about partially scapping the front setup.

I'm thinking about using McGaughy's 2" spindles, Belltech adjustable struts and KEEPING the DJM UCA's but with better ball joints. I think this will allow for good alignment and hopefully eliminate my LCA pivot issues and the driver's side lean. I got the idea here from this thread: http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157977

Has anybody else though about or done this?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I feel the same way you do with djm control arms and their flip kit. My expirence has been similar. Also a 3/6 was too low for my liking (the top of both frt and rear wheel well rubbed) and get minor squeeks from the front (most likely caused by the design of their bushings. Also the lower balljoint rubber boots ripped with less than 1k on the install... This weekend I switch back to stock control arms and a ground force spindle with a mg flip kit... I am done with djm!

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
mcgaughy spindles dont allow the upper balljoint to fully seat either, get some belltech spindles or ground force.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
mcgaughy spindles dont allow the upper balljoint to fully seat either, get some belltech spindles or ground force.
Maybe a stupid question, but what would it do to the front end longterm?

·
formerly "miamigrant"
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Changing front setup 3/6 NNBS

My thread is old I know but I recently started driving my truck ALOT more and the front end is really killing me. I now have 3 of 4 balljoints shot and at least 2 random clunks. Driver side is still leaning 1 1/4" and after another alignment my tires are still feathering on the insides. Not to mention the ride is sh**. My wife just won't drive it, period.

I just found some really good deals. Not trying to knock the board vendors, I have used a couple of them and they are great but these are rock bottom prices IMO.

MCG 2" Spindles - $229 shipped for MCG from Grunionfabrication.com

Belltech 53009 Adjustable struts - $156 shipped from Streetsideauto.com

I'm gonna try this new setup and report back.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
That is weird because I never had any issues in the 2 years I drove my truck with DJM 3" control arms in my truck and i racked up like 25-30K miles on it

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Re: Changing front setup 3/6 NNBS

My thread is old I know but I recently started driving my truck ALOT more and the front end is really killing me. I now have 3 of 4 balljoints shot and at least 2 random clunks. Driver side is still leaning 1 1/4" and after another alignment my tires are still feathering on the insides. Not to mention the ride is sh**. My wife just won't drive it, period.

I just found some really good deals. Not trying to knock the board vendors, I have used a couple of them and they are great but these are rock bottom prices IMO.

MCG 2" Spindles - $229 shipped for MCG from Grunionfabrication.com

Belltech 53009 Adjustable struts - $156 shipped from Streetsideauto.com

I'm gonna try this new setup and report back.
check prices at www.stillen.com too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts