GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is making creaking/popping noises on slow speed R&L turns with dips (driving around the housing development). Had it at the dealer, inspected and found everything OK with the balljoints, wheel bearings, body mounts, and gave everything a good lube. Problem still exists...

What can I check.. w/o access to a lift?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I'd check the steering shaft. There was a TSB on it. Take the shaft out, jack it off a bit (as my instructor puts it) and put it back in. The grease would get to the dry areas of the shaft and would hold for a good bit of time.

·
GMFS Member
845 Posts
My '02 had the exact same symptoms. Turned out to be the front left body mount where the nerf bar was attached. Dealership at first thought it was the steering shaft. Then they "couldn't duplicate" the issue. I ended up using a large flat washer and a cut washer (lock washer) with the stock bolt.

Never groaned/creaked again...even after I rolled it!

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
My front bumper makes a creaking sound sometimes when turning. Try that??

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,659 Posts
I'm with Cmatt, they had a TSB a while back on GM nerf bars making sounds, the fix was to cut out a piece of rubber to install between the nerf bar bracket and the body mount, I'll try to find the TSB number

this may be it:

#PIT3089C: Rattle/Clunk Type Noise During Body Twist Maneuvers Or Over Bumps - keywords assist bar contact creak frame metal mount pop squeak step suspension - (Sep 8, 2006)

Subject: Rattle/Clunk Type Noise During Body Twist Maneuvers Or Over Bumps

Models: 2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2001-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI is being created to add models and update correction info. Please discard PIT3089B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Owners may comment of a rattle/clunk type noise coming from the rear of the cab during body twist maneuvers or over bumps. This noise may be coming from the dealer installed GM Tubular Assist Bars(Nurf Bars).

Two areas of concern have been reported:

The "Gasket" between the Tubular Assist Bar and the body mounting bracket were distorted and the Assist Bar had actually cut through the "Gasket" making contact between the assist bar bracket and body mount bracket. This gasket can be distorted or cut by over tightening the body bolts during installation of the assist bars.
Metal-to-Metal contact between the assist bar mount bracket and frame. (See Below Picture).

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the bracket gasket is cut or distorted replace the gasket, which is included in hardware kit 88961680 (brackets, bolts, and washers). Care should be taken when installing the body bolts, DO NOT use an air impact. The bolts should be tightened to spec along with the use of blue Loctite:
• For 2001 and 2005 model year, tighten the bolts to 85 Nm (63 lb ft).

• For 2006 and 2007 model year, tighten the bolts to 100 Nm (74 lb ft).

If there is metal-to-metal contact between the assist bar mounting bracket and the body mount frame bracket remove the assist bar and using a file or grinder remove just enought material off the assist bar bracket to provide clearance.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
You check it out matt?

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's been raining and the truck is garaged. The denali bumper was replaced when I hit that deer last year, so maybe I can take it back to the body shop and tell them shits creaky now and to check everything they replaced. :shrug:

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Mine creaks on the driver side. Thats the side they had to do the most work on when I wrecked a couple years back.
But then again, I got under there and looked and mines kinda rigged but it still creaks nontheless.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even if it's a Denali, it's still a truck. It's gonna creak & groan some.

You want quiet? get a Cadillac. :D
It's not the creak that bothers me, it's the popping. I was afraid it was steering or suspension related.

Before this, the thing rode like it was on a cloud. ZX3 electronically adjustable suspension FTW!

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fuck it, i'll rip the steps off. Started to do the de-grampazation last weekend... but got frustrated when i discovered the paint behind the mud flaps was FUCKED. :pissed:

Anybody have the torque #'s on body mount bolts?

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
I'd put money on the bumper. When you get time, go outside and pull up and down on it and see if you can get it to sound off. I can make mine make racket just by pushing the bumper down.. IT does it bad when I turn while sitting still sometimes. Scares elderly's and small children.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts