GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
NorCalOffRoad
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. I m looking for cheap ways to get better gas milage out of my 94 gmc. Its a stock motor, rebuilt tranny with shift kit, running 33's on 4.11 gears. I get about 200 miles to 22 gallons of gas, that like 9 mpg. Mostly half freeway and half in town.

Besides me calming down and not driving like a retard :head: , are there any cheap mods to get a bit better milage? I should also note that the truck has 170000 miles on it. Already have a K&N although it prob needs to be cleaned. Anyother ideas?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Get the Funk Master Flex driving shoes. They will increase your power and mileage by 30%. :insane:

Try getting some exhaust. That will free up some power and your truck might need it with 170K on it, if its still stock its prolly nearly clogged.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
take foot off pedal.. jk. I get pretty good gas mileage, i just never take my truck over 2k rpm and barely put my foot on the gas. Its like a grandma is driving my car, if you get the idea. I get like 16 on streets, and i have to drive up hills everday on the way from and to school.

try getting a tune up.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Clean that K & N. Keep tires properly inflated. Basic tune up/maint. I have heard of small increases with synthetic oil too. I know my dad got .5 mpg better just switching to mobil1.

I get 16-17 city in the summer with a light foot. My '95 gets 14mpg no matter what you do.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
i replace my fuel filter every 30k, sooner certainly wouldnt hurt a bit. I get gas from a good station most of the time so I feel ok doign it every 30k

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
How old is your 02 sensor? That could probably stand to be replaced. Is it throwing any SES codes? Those 4.10 gears aren't helping either.

·
NorCalOffRoad
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whifflebat said:
How old is your 02 sensor? That could probably stand to be replaced. Is it throwing any SES codes? Those 4.10 gears aren't helping either.
september when I had to get it smogged. I killed like 3 sensor curcits by shorting out soem wires. Not me personally but the truck, I guess some wires were rubbing on the top of the tranny. Either way its a new gm piece. I have no trouble codes.

The 4.10 are what I get for buying a k2500 with a towing package. They prob didnt come on all towing packaged trucks but this one got them according to the glove box.

I think Ill look into the tune up since it has been awhile, prob a fuel filter, and maybe get the cat checked. Money permitting tho.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
yeah give it a full tune up, especially the fuel filter.

also, go slow that helps.

but in all honesty, even if you manage to gain 2 mpg, your overall gas bill wont change much over the course of a year, so in that case is it worth driving like grandma?

if i floor my truck everywhere almost, i get 13. if i baby it, i get 14. so to me its worth having fun for 1mpg

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
A 3/4 ton tbi truck is not going to get great mileage either way..My 3/4 ton vortec with 5 speed only gets about 12 or 13 (estimated) with 3.42's. V8's suck alota fuel, period. Especially pushing big honky wagons around...

Give it a good tuneup. New cap/rotor, plugs, wires, clean out everything (that seafoam stuff does a good job), etc. Change every fluid, too.

After that, get a good full exhaust system. Headers and all. With a little more horsepower the engine just doesnt have to work as hard pushing the weight with a considerable right foot. More effciency. This only works up to a point, however....Once you start approaching that 1hp/Ci. mark fuel economy changes as well with natural aspiration.

If you got more money to drop into it, you could try one of those tbi units that seem to be popping up from everybodys shop and that could also give you a slight increase (Stock tbi flows pitiful, then you have the heads...).

·
NorCalOffRoad
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cap and rotor are prob a year old. Im planing a full tune up. I think the headers and exhuast will have to wait cuz as it is now i have enough trouble just paying bills. But deffently something to look into. I need to sell my other car before I can do much. I just want to try to ease the pain at the pump right now. $50 a week isnt nice. And if gas keeps going up its just going to get worse.

oh and its a light duty 3/4 ton so its got the 350 in it still.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
well, unfortunately, your mpg is a function of how effiecent your engine is and how much your car weighs. Unless u want to say take off your bed and hood, you aren't really gonna get that much of an improvement over a tune up. Example a V6 camaro and a V8 camaro get nearly identical gas milages:read:

·
Registered
658 Posts
well if its any consolation to you guys im getting like 18-20 mpg right now....

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
buy a bus pass :read: j/k i too am getting between 18 and 21 MPG. If you properly maintain your truck you will see better mileage. something i learned with my TBI 95 Z, is that alot of it depends on how heavy your foot is.

·
NorCalOffRoad
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lowred said:
buy a bus pass :read: j/k i too am getting between 18 and 21 MPG. If you properly maintain your truck you will see better mileage. something i learned with my TBI 95 Z, is that alot of it depends on how heavy your foot is.
Mines pretty heavy, I think thats my number one problem. :bawl:

OK I just looked on ebay for headers. What do you guys think of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2474829895&category=33631

I know I get what I pay for, but those sound a lot easier on the budget then the $400-600 ones ive seen around. I just gotta make sure they are smog legal for here in Cali.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts