GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new here & have seen several threads on this but not on my exact application. I have a 2005 silverado reg cab short bed with 4.3 4x4 & a 5 speed. Ive alredy found a wrecked doner im buying. Its a 2001 silverado 4x4 5.3 auto ex cab. Ive got pretty well everything figured out how to do this swap (ive done swaps & lots of other mechanic work b4 so im not just a kid with a new truck dreamin stuff up i could do). The only things im really unsure about is the flywheel. Im pretty sure i can run a 4.8 flywheel but herd i gota use a spacer behind it for it to work. Herd also bout usin a 6.0 flywheel but not sure if id have to run a spacer or not. Id like to use my clutch if itll work ( its only got 50k miles on it). I think the disc is different but will the pressure plate work? I can get a new flywheel pretty cheap so thats no biggy. Also the donor is cable driven TB. Thats wot i wanna stick with but ive seen threads where the sed u cant do it since mine is 04 & up for some reason im unaware of. Any help is gretly appreciated.
Thanks in advanced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

,Lee

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hi there's someone else doing a swap like you also on here. Not sure on the flywheels and clutch stuff, you might wanna check out ls1truck.com

Also the wiring from the donor truck will not be compatible with your truck. You need to get a donor harness, pcm, tac module, gas pedal from a 05, 06, 07c truck..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks the link! that really sucks cuz im buyin this truck for like nuthin as far as $$$ goes. i really really hate to run the dbw. my wifes 06 has it and its so un-responsive. itd suck tryin to drive stick with it like that i think. is there a custom harness u can have made by like nelson or someone that would alow me to do this with out usin dbw? i really hope so. i thot i was gona get away with the whole swap for under a $1000. i woulda if itll all work.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Don't buy it. Nothing but a damn headache trying to find all the parts. And expensive! I had to get rid of my DBC 5.3 that I bought. Saving for a DBW 6.0 right now.

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
Ive never looked, but your truck should be dbc. I know a lot of the 4.3 motors are dbc, an never was swapped to a dbw tb.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys thanks a bunch for the replys. Its been a big help. & yes my truck is cable driven TB. Ill prolly still buy the donor truck anyways cuz me & a buddy are gona part it all out wether i keep the motor or not. Might be a good s10 swap or just sell it too. It still drives, just cab & body are crushed. Id hate tear into my truck cuz it only has 55k miles on it but the 4.3 is a dog in a full size 4x4. Wot about a 350 vortec? There a dime a dozen. Ive done those swaps for a v6 b4 but not in nothing as new as mine. Any ideas?

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
You take the wiring harness out of the donor truck and install it in your current fuse box. Then you take the rest of the stuff motor related. I dunno about swapping to what flywheel and such but LS1truck has a thread about it

·
Registered
570 Posts
You take the wiring harness out of the donor truck and install it in your current fuse box. Then you take the rest of the stuff motor related. I dunno about swapping to what flywheel and such but LS1truck has a thread about it
Explain how? A few people have tried it and haven't been successful..

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
I must be thinking of the 99-02 4.3 to 4.8/5.3/6.0 swap.

I would have just ran a stand alone harness for all that crap imho.

·
Registered
248 Posts
all you have to do is get a intake for the dbw and throw it on then by a pedel and module its super simple man u can do these conversions for less then 1500 bucks i am doing a 05 with a 4.3 5 speed now but im going 6.0 from a escalade.just by u a fly wheel and clutch kit for a 4.8 and year will work u dont need a spacer thats oon the earlier 6.0 engines that needed it bc the crank was longer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to throw my two cents in... I did a 5.3 swap in my 2000 Silverado scsb that came factory with the 4.8 and 5 speed so I thought the 5.3 would be a simple plug & play (if you know for sure you pulled a 4.8L out and already have the 5.3L ready you'll notice they both say in the same spot on the backside "4.8L/5.3L) swap but it wasn't. The only reason I chose the 5.3 and not a 6.0 or larger is that for the fact of the blocks being the exact same and harness as well if close to the same generation of year which I had purchased a 5.3 out of an 01 extended cab. So I figured everything would go smooth as cream after having the PCM reprogrammed but little did I know the nightmarish summer my dad and I would endure trying to figure out something that very few had yet to do, a reminder that I did this swap back in 06 or 07 so there was literally NO information on what we were doing. Never had an issue till we got the truck in the shop for the tranny to be reinstalled (I won't touch clutches of transmissions LoL) and found out that the 4.8/5.3/6.0/5.0/5.7 flywheels did not work and after about three months of aggravating research, I mean my dad was even on the phone with a couple of GM engineers and they said quote "We can't tell you how to do that because we haven't built a 5.3l with a straight drive behind it so we don't know what to tell you", a trans guy we had been in contact with earlier that summer called us up and asked if we were still stuck and suggested a 91 corvette resurfaced flywheel that he had could be the right thickness and by golly that truck was one in maybe 6 total at that time in the country to have a 5.3L 5-speed but the moral of the story is that nothing was as difficult as trying to figure out how to transfer the power. With the correct flywheel and computer tune it can be done and isn't that big of a deal anymore.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Just wanted to throw my two cents in... I did a 5.3 swap in my 2000 Silverado scsb that came factory with the 4.8 and 5 speed so I thought the 5.3 would be a simple plug & play (if you know for sure you pulled a 4.8L out and already have the 5.3L ready you'll notice they both say in the same spot on the backside "4.8L/5.3L) swap but it wasn't. The only reason I chose the 5.3 and not a 6.0 or larger is that for the fact of the blocks being the exact same and harness as well if close to the same generation of year which I had purchased a 5.3 out of an 01 extended cab. So I figured everything would go smooth as cream after having the PCM reprogrammed but little did I know the nightmarish summer my dad and I would endure trying to figure out something that very few had yet to do, a reminder that I did this swap back in 06 or 07 so there was literally NO information on what we were doing. Never had an issue till we got the truck in the shop for the tranny to be reinstalled (I won't touch clutches of transmissions LoL) and found out that the 4.8/5.3/6.0/5.0/5.7 flywheels did not work and after about three months of aggravating research, I mean my dad was even on the phone with a couple of GM engineers and they said quote "We can't tell you how to do that because we haven't built a 5.3l with a straight drive behind it so we don't know what to tell you", a trans guy we had been in contact with earlier that summer called us up and asked if we were still stuck and suggested a 91 corvette resurfaced flywheel that he had could be the right thickness and by golly that truck was one in maybe 6 total at that time in the country to have a 5.3L 5-speed but the moral of the story is that nothing was as difficult as trying to figure out how to transfer the power. With the correct flywheel and computer tune it can be done and isn't that big of a deal anymore.
Did you read that before you posted? You said it’s 4.8/5.3 same flywheel, same block, same length crank. So why didn’t it work?

Iv personally put many 5.3s behind many 5 speed NV3500 with zero issues, using factory 4.8 clutch, flywheel, and bearings.

Edit: pre 98 NV3500s do take a special pilot and trough out bearing. Still same 4.8 flywheel, and zero spacers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts