GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
LSX LUV Owner
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just dropped my truck(06 2wd crew cab)

cut one coil up front and 2" spindle.. roughly a 4" drop (15" center of hump to fender lip on both sides).. i have 265/65/17's all around (30.56" tall, 10.43" wide) according to 1010tires...

out back is obviously fine.. the front is horrible. any kind of any bump in the road both tires are in the inners(plastic and metal)

IIRC i see alot of people running 245/70's with no problems on 4" drop..

what size should i go with? i want to get them soon...

my rubbage..

·
3,161 Posts
and if dezert 1500 can run a 245/65/17 up front(29.5) with a 6" drop..

i dont see how he has that size tire on that much drop unless his inner is cut all out..

I no longer have that size anymore because it made my inner all cut out :crazy: I hated that tire size up front because of rubbing issues. 275/55/17 I have out back and love it like mentioned above. If I have time here I want to swap and run it on the front to see if it clears. I have 225/65/17 up front now and love how I have zero rubbing issues, but hate the size and look. It's narrow. If the 275/55 clears the front I'm going to run a 235/65/17. 29" and under would net you zero rubbing issues. I'm almost positive.

225/65 28.5 / 9
235/65 29.1 / 9.4
245/65 29.5 / 9.8
275/55 28.9 / 11.2

245/65 on my truck

This will give you an idea what the tires look like mounted. 225/65 275/55

·
LSX LUV Owner
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
245/65 is what i would want i think.. i dont want any shorter than i need.. i dont think im going to go lower. right now i have 0 drive shaft issues, and my tranny cross member junk is still 3.25" off the ground..

actually probably 235/65 so i can have 3/4" more clearance to inner, and drop me 3/4" since i have a hair bit of cali.. eww

·
#NBHNC
2,828 Posts
running 255/60s here with 5 inch drop up front with no issues at all.
I like the way they look too.. they have a good width to have an aggressive looking profile.
I'm probably gunna do a mini-tub when I go lower this week or next week.. dunno when I'll have time yet though...
Glad to see cutting the coils worked well for you man it looks great.
Hows the ride with that much cut btw?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
so ur sayin just to cut it out like he did on the how to, and the rest should stop rubbing? lol.
I like the way they look too.. they have a good width to have an aggressive looking profile.
I'm probably gunna do a mini-tub when I go lower this week or next week.. dunno when I'll have time yet though...
i never had the problem with my 255/60/17s it was with my 22s
instead of spending 400+ on tires try cutting a little and see where it gets you

·
3,161 Posts
I wish these plastic fenders were just a tad bit bigger then I could run a 30" tire all around. I just can't come to the fact of doing tubs for 1" extra tire diameter. Let me know what works for you I need a larger tire up front (29") that's wider since the canyon roads are sketchy with such a narrow tire.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I wish these plastic fenders were just a tad bit bigger then I could run a 30" tire all around. I just can't come to the fact of doing tubs for 1" extra tire diameter. Let me know what works for you I need a larger tire up front (29") that's wider since the canyon roads are sketchy with such a narrow tire.
its not doing tubs.
nothing in the engine bay changes at all. all that sheetmetal stays. the inner fender metal part has a big hollow area. you just remove the side that is on the tire side.

·
LSX LUV Owner
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im going to do some cutting tomorrow on lunch break/after work.. ill post pics..

how much metal can i cut before i have a hole into the engine bay? it seems like theres 2 layers, not right on top of each other?

·
LSX LUV Owner
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i cant honestly say.. much of a bump to hard of braking my tire is rubbing.. but when its not rubbing tire it rides good!

im sure nice shocks up front would make it better. it has heavy duty gabriel shocks out back..

·
3,161 Posts
its not doing tubs.
nothing in the engine bay changes at all. all that sheetmetal stays. the inner fender metal part has a big hollow area. you just remove the side that is on the tire side.
The mini tub doesn't help for a 30" diameter tire. That's what I'm trying to say. You can run a 30" tire with a mini tub, but your still going to rub the shit out of the plastic inner fender. I wish the plastic was a tad larger so I could run a 30" tire with no rubbing without the only option of limiting up travel which is only an 1" anyway :crazy:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts