GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My NBS Sierra has the chrome body side moldings and as of yesterday, one of them has bubbles under the surface.

Yesterday I took it to a new touchless car wash and I noticed that they had tons of psi during the rinse... Well, after getting back from the auto parts store, today... I notice that there are dozens of bubbles under the surface of the simulated chrome.

Could the pressure have actually penetrated the surface and raised these bumps?
Or is this a problem that has been seen before, due to other circumstances?

I took several pics, but it is hard to get a good representation of the bubbling...

·
Dbs>Bitches.
3,616 Posts
My gmc has it. It just happens bro.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My guess is you just didnt notice it before now.
I was entertaining that possibility and it had me scratching my head... After all, I have only had the truck for about a month. But I have clayed it and waxed it... I was up close and personal with it and I didn't notice it...

My gmc has it. It just happens bro.
What's the consensus on the cause of the bubbling? Could it have been the high pressure water or is this something that would get worse over time?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Could be from rocks hitting it. Happens to most plastic factory chrome over a period of time.

·
Dbs>Bitches.
3,616 Posts
I was entertaining that possibility and it had me scratching my head... After all, I have only had the truck for about a month. But I have clayed it and waxed it... I was up close and personal with it and I didn't notice it...

What's the consensus on the cause of the bubbling? Could it have been the high pressure water or is this something that would get worse over time?
I think it is just from rocks bro, Don't know for sure though

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
I kind of like mine on there..dont think I would take them off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be from rocks hitting it.
I don't think it could be rocks, in this case...
I don't think that there could be enough rocks hitting the molding to cause the amount of spots that I have on them.
There are literally 50 spots, on just the molding on the front door, and there isn't a single ding on the surrounding paint. And the surface over the bubbles is absolutely smooth.

Just to be on the safe side... I think that I will stick to hand washing, from now on.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
My 04 sierra did the same thing only to the driver's door after three years. So far, I have none on my 06 GMC.

Mr. 960

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
my 06 had them but apparently i didnt notice them til after i took them off

1 - 15 of 15 Posts