GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
*SELFMADE*
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
taking my truck up to boulder, colorado mid august for school and was wondering if powder coating them will protect the rim from the snow salt!?!?! i gotta get on this so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
use sealer and you should be ok. Get with one of Deatiling Vendors.

·
GMFS MoPar/Air Force Crew
5,457 Posts
If you are really worried, find some steelie stocker 17's for cheap and throw them on there.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
If you would go to the effort/cost of powdercoating, might as well just spend the money on steelies, or take the chance and if they get messed up then spend the money on new ones.

Realistically, I doubt it's a big problem. Plenty of people in snowy places have chrome.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Last I checked...they're pretty hippy-ish there and use some random organic crap? Was talking to ridetillurdead26 about it...who's going to school there. Apparently it's not quite as bad for the wheels :think:

Pick up some Migliore Wheel Sealant/ Pooboy's Wheel Sealant and throw a couple coats on em...or just get some cheap-o wheels for the winter

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
If you would go to the effort/cost of powdercoating, might as well just spend the money on steelies, or take the chance and if they get messed up then spend the money on new ones.

Realistically, I doubt it's a big problem. Plenty of people in snowy places have chrome.
i don't think you can powercoat chrome.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts

·
*SELFMADE*
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just assumed sand blasting was the answer to every question lol, but if powder coating isnt an option i bet some black steelies with some meaty tires would look pretty good on my truck

·
Devout Hedonist
147 Posts
yea im stationed at ft. carson, its been a good minute since ive been there, but i dont recall salty roads, not like michigan at least.
Michigan is the worst for road salt!! Where are you from?

·
Devout Hedonist
147 Posts
Clear Plasti-Dip spray. Peel it off when you don't want protection anymore.

Have you used this during a winter? Where? I'm intrigued!

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
Have you used this during a winter? Where? I'm intrigued!
I haven't used it on chrome or on wheels. I have used it (black, not clear) on trim during winter and it held up fine. Folks on http://www.golfmkv.com use it to paint their wheels and body parts a different color without committing, since it can be removed easily but survives well if you don't want to remove it.

If the clear stuff looks decent on chrome, it should make a good protector.

·
Devout Hedonist
147 Posts
I haven't used it on chrome or on wheels. I have used it (black, not clear) on trim during winter and it held up fine. Folks on http://www.golfmkv.com use it to paint their wheels and body parts a different color without committing, since it can be removed easily but survives well if you don't want to remove it.

If the clear stuff looks decent on chrome, it should make a good protector.
Trim? What kind of trim?

Thanks.

PS-I did email this company but don't know when they will reply, plus real-world experience is best.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts