GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
What can I use to clean the back of rims? I bought some used rims. Chevy 18" Z71 rims and the back of the rims are coated with brake dust. I've used a brillo pad and got alot of it off. There is still alot embedded into the rims. My hands are ready to fall off. Somebody please help me with what I can use to clean this crap off!!!
Thanks in advance!!
Matt

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
Unless the wheels are uncoated aluminum, I use megs wheel brightener 4:1 the first time I see most daily drivers I clean. It will remove brake dust like no other. But it will not remove all the pitting and stuff as that is embedded into the surface.

PoorBoys spray and rinse is also supposed to be nice. Its less harsh than megs wheel brightener and is not as potent in smell.

After that as long as you clean the back sides at every wash they stay pretty nice once you've got them clean and keep a nice sealant on them.

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm wondering what to use chemical wise, if, a brillo pad and scrubbing the crap out of them only got them half way descent I thought for sure that would have worked...

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
my boss gets a jack and lifts up his truck every time he washs it to clean the rims. they are white and match the truck, its a 07 F150 Limited so thats how they come. brakedust looks like total ass on them

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
I have been thinking of doing this.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
my boss gets a jack and lifts up his truck every time he washs it to clean the rims. they are white and match the truck, its a 07 F150 Limited so thats how they come. brakedust looks like total ass on them
I work on a customers truck that is the exact same thing. With the 22" colormatched white wheels...They look horrible with brake dust on them but look really :boobs: when they are clean.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
yup thats them, one of the sales guy has the same truck also but his is filthy and the rims are nasty looking
Those are some of the best OEM wheels in the industry IMO. Ford really needs to do something about the brake dust issues with the latest body styles of the trucks and SUV's though. Most front wheels are completely black on the newer ford trucks and SUVS rolling around here. :nono:

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Those are some of the best OEM wheels in the industry IMO. Ford really needs to do something about the brake dust issues with the latest body styles of the trucks and SUV's though. Most front wheels are completely black on the newer ford trucks and SUVS rolling around here. :nono:
ya, we asked the tech's about swapping out the pads cuz of so much brake dust and they are filthy every week. we lowered his truck about 3"s in the rear to get it to sit level, pulled the LIMITED badges off the top of the bed and put them on the bottom of the front doors like the new chevy's.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
TBSS had the same problem, I swear one lap around the block and the wheels were just COATED with brake dust. Swapped for ceramic pads and no more break dust... my wheels hardly ever get dirty anymore.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
I have ceramic pads in my truck and I have a problem with the squealing. I only have 25,000 miles so I know its not time to change them but are yall getting the same thing?
My dads old vette squealed really bad when he changed to ceramic pads, but it didn't have drilled slotted rotors. His new one does and with the ceramic pads no noise at all. Same on the TBSS... not a peep out of the ceramic pads on the drilled rotors FWIW.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
TBSS had the same problem, I swear one lap around the block and the wheels were just COATED with brake dust. Swapped for ceramic pads and no more break dust... my wheels hardly ever get dirty anymore.
Now that I think of it...I worked on a Dodge Magnum RT and a Chrysler 300 RT and they both had bad brake dust as well. I guess its soemthing to do with the type of pad they are using.

Dylan, what brand of pads did you buy. Mine squeek like crazy...

·
Haters Gonna Hate
2,073 Posts
My dads old vette squealed really bad when he changed to ceramic pads, but it didn't have drilled slotted rotors. His new one does and with the ceramic pads no noise at all. Same on the TBSS... not a peep out of the ceramic pads on the drilled rotors FWIW.
Yeah, I have slotted ones on mine with hawk ceramic pads and have little to no break dust build up ever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.