GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i hit the brakes somewhat harder than normal and when i shift between drive and reverse both ways, sound like a ujoint to anyone?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
possibly. when was the last time it was swapped out? id replace the one at the diff for sure. cheap and easy.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i was thinking, it was new when i put the 14bolt in, which was probably around 2 years ago or so im guessing

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
thats what i was thinking, it was new when i put the 14bolt in, which was probably around 2 years ago or so im guessing
replace it then. best case senario, its a 10$ u joint...worse case, its 25 if its the s44-1350 conversion joint. more than likely it is a bad joint and its prob the joint at the diff.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10-4

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
It could also be that your backlash opened up a little bit. That will result in a clunk.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
If you had it geared awhile ago it could just be getting some slop in the gears. I know most of the time when they're new they are very tight, and after while they loosen up from wear and tear and will clunk more.

Check your u-joints, if they're still tight I would pull the diff. cover and check out the wear pattern on the teeth.

Also, wear on the entire drivetrain will add up to a lot of slop after a lot of miles. I get just a little bit of slop in my tranny-transfercase output/input splines, the t-case slip yoke and driveshaft splines, and the rearend. Each one of them feels like it's just a little bit by itself, but add it all up and it clunks preety good.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was geared at the same time i put the new axle in, which was about 2 years ago and the tranny isnt more than 6mo old.

im thinking it might be my pass side spring making the noise, it looks like one of the leaves is twisting/shifting while the others are staying. is this possible? maybe ill get some pics

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok...

ruled out the tranny and ujoints.

things not ruled out are differential, brakes, springs.

im thinking its the brakes on the pass side. i had someone go forward and backward while i was outside watching and listening and it sure seemed like the noise was coming from the brakes. also noticed when i was driving it that under hard braking, it pulls real hard to the left, like the pass side drum brakes arent grabbing. so when i pulled the wheel and drum off, the drum came off real easy. this raised a flag in my head cause i thought the drum was supposed to be up against the pad somewhat. the brakes looked fine otherwise, so i put the drum back on and made sure it was nice and tight against the pads.

went and drove it hoping the breaks would adjust themselvs correctly but thats when i found out that it pulled left real bad.

pass side ubolts might be loose but i cant tighted the nuts on them because they got rounded off real bad at some point.

could the loose ubolts be causing more movement back there than the brakes like and be causing them to get real loose when they self adjust?

or i guess if the ubolts arent as tight as they are supposed to be, chevy man could be right about the pin too. i dont know, i think since i dont have anything to cut the ubolts off with i may take it somewhere and get new ubolts put on and see what that does

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JSYGK...chevy man was right, it was the ubolts, fixed it a while ago but thought i would update in case someone was curious

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Glad to see it was a small potato. (coonass term for little issue)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts