GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey hey...

so this has been bothering me a shitload lately...

i replaced my clutch in June 2006, i've prolly put 20-25K on it since then...

its seemed fine until probably the last month or so....if im rolling at 10-15mph in first, and punch it it'll hesitate at around 3500rpms, then stop slipping, and thenit'll start slipping a shit load at around 4800-5000RPM's again....and this is through the 1-3 gears, in 4th gear it just falls flat on its ass for whatever reason....

only reason i can think of is we didnt resurface or replace the flywheel whenw e put the new clutch in, we just sprayed it down with brake cleaner to get any grease off of it and put the new clutch in....

It really feels like my clutch is gone, it was just an OEM replacement, but im wonderign if maybe i should've went with a centerforce/SPEC clutch with my driving style (i know how to drive a manual, but im a very "spirited" driver :crazy:)

Any ideas?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Or get a real trans, NV4500.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dont be dissinin my NV3500, the way its been actin up with gear changes (really need to change my fluid, pretty sure its messin my synchro's up), every extra mile is a bonus!

T56 will be coming, just a matter of finding a complete one with cylinders, lines, just an easy weekend swap kind of deal, i dont feel like piecing one together from various vettes/fbody's.

in all seriousness...it feels like its goin out, im thinking mainly because of the flywheel and the hot spots it had on it when we changed it....

Opinions?

·
Im walking on sunshine!
5,651 Posts
T56 is the way to go, Most stock trans auto or stick dont put up with much abuse...As soon as i put the GMPP 350HO in my 700r4 said help me>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LOL!

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
sounds like the clutch is out man. for what its worth, id never put in a new clutch without resurfacing the flywheel. I bet thats why it went out so fast

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well if it'll last me until november (ive been babying it, even though its gonna be tempting once the LS^ cam and other mods are done this month)...im gonna get the T56, Fidanza billet flywheel, and spec stg3 clutch....i've seen combinations with over 600hp hold em with much 1/4mi abuse, so it should hold to a truck that'll hopefulyl be making 450 (flywheel) at the end of this year when it goes under the knife, again...

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also, dan lemme know when i can call ya if you still have the same number....figured i'd bring the bitch over to you one weekend when your free (if you are free in august) and i could learn some shit watching you throw the cam in...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Just wondering...how light do you really want a flywheel in a fullsize truck to be?

I'd want a heavy one. Better low speed TQ.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the fidanza one weighs 18lbs....means it'll spin up a shitload faster....if i was going for bottom end tq i wouldnt be throwin on pacesetters, i'd be putting on thorley's...but im not.

this is my DD/fun truck, only thing its ever pulled was a 17' dovetail with a 500gallon diesel tank on it one time because our other trucks were getting serviced.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well thats part of the "fun" part...but its a 4.8, there's hardly any low-end on it anyway....

might as well build a high rev motor...

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
Ive got a F1 billet steel flywheel (claimed 15.5lbs, but actually weighed 13lbs) and i LOVE it. It gets into boost faster from a dig and I actually hit the limiter faster than i can shift right now it spins so fast. even though the truck weighs in at 4400lbs, its still fine. With the lightweight flywheel, dont expect your stock tune to work, as you wont even idle.

also an FYI: tranny swaps with solid motor mounts SUCKS ASS. that is all. lol

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wasnt too hard to pull my NV3500 out, just needed an extra hand since i dont have a trans jack since we used a neighbors X-lift.

goin from a NV3500 to a T56 i heard is pretty simple, just need the vette/fbody master cylinder, the hydraulic lines, redo my x-member, shorten the driveshaft, and cut a new hole in my floor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts