GMC Truck Forum banner

Coil Spacers.....if you have them look here

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  big ben 
#1 ·
Ive heard acouple of people having problems with them, like them breaking and shit, is this something pretty common...let me know, im thinking about getting some this week....

oh yea....on 2wd NBS...

#2 ·
i had gotten the daystar 1.25" spacers and had them split on me after 2 weeks. maybe cause i already have a lift but.. i took them back to 4wheel parts in my area and they swapped me out to a 2.5" spacer from another chevy vehicle. i dunno which one though cause they just gave me the spacers by themselves. no box so no part number. came home installed them and got about 1.75" out of the new ones and havent had a problem yet.

#4 ·
I ran mine for 6 months with no problems. I had the 2" daystars and had zero problems.

#6 ·
But, why do you prefer the daystar's? Aren't they plastic or rubber or something?
I'm sure you can find some steel ones some where, and that'd be much better, IMO.

#11 ·
the coil spacer will usually only give you about half of what the advertised lift is honestly. the spring sits in a pocket molded into the spacer so its alot safer and more logical. a peice of solid steel would change the ride quality, front coil properties and wouldnt be safe since there isnt a coil groove in it. its impractical.

#13 ·
so if they split, what happens to the truck? like if your driving down the road and one splits on you your not gonna loose control and flip of the road into a gully full of water and drown are you?
its FLIP-Scream-Gully-Fire-Jump into Pond to stop burning- Realize the pond is filled with acid- eats your skin- death

#15 ·
the coil spacer will usually only give you about half of what the advertised lift is honestly. the spring sits in a pocket molded into the spacer so its alot safer and more logical. a peice of solid steel would change the ride quality, front coil properties and wouldnt be safe since there isnt a coil groove in it. its impractical.
I still don't see how it would change the "coil properties"...The coil is supposed to absorb the impact, not the spacer. Spacer pushes the coil down an inch or however big it is...Do you also think that blocks change the "leaf springs properties?"

edit : btw, coil spring pockets are METAL. theres a rubber INSULATOR on top of them...to insulate the spring from rattling. if the spacer was machined correctly, i don't see one single issue using metal spacers, except you might want/need 2 insulators per side...The biggest reason they don't use metal is cost...metal costs more and its easier/cheaper to machine/form plastic/rubber.

#17 ·
I bought randomheros shit, and have been running them (daystars) since Oct. 2005, so total they have been used for prolly 2 yrs. w/o any problems.

SKG makes a damn nice set of metal ones but last time I checked they were only available for Fords.

#20 ·
Don't get pissed man.

I was just pointing out that metal spacers are an option too.

I ran 3" steel bolt on spacers on the front of my old 4wd Dodge with no problems at all.
Didn't know if 2wd FSC were different though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.