GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could be just one of those stupid thoughts of mine again (not could be, it is...)...but I was mainly curious to see if/who out there has swapped the leafs out for coils in the rear. There's definitely a lot of work needed to be done, and by no means is this a job I want to jump into without doing more research into it. I know zuby swapped in C/O's but I was mainly just thinking coils. Of course it would need to be linked and what not as well....again, just curious and wanted to see whats out there.

·
For Offroad Use Only
285 Posts
:wave: You've seen my setup....it's probably a bit more extreme than you're thinking of though. :shrug:

By the way, I have a pair of 14" travel, and a pair of 12" travel Remote Res. 2.0 Fox Coilovers w/springs, brand new, never installed...They were going on my truck at first, but then decided to go with bigger c/o's, so that combo was never installed.

·
Texas Rebels!
462 Posts
I was thinking the very same thing. 4 link the rear but I wanted bags instead.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:wave: You've seen my setup....it's probably a bit more extreme than you're thinking of though. :shrug:

By the way, I have a pair of 14" travel, and a pair of 12" travel Remote Res. 2.0 Fox Coilovers w/springs, brand new, never installed...They were going on my truck at first, but then decided to go with bigger c/o's, so that combo was never installed.
Hmmm. This of course is just an idea...but lets me up for a beer or something and see some ideas

I was thinking the very same thing. 4 link the rear but I wanted bags instead.
I'm not sure it would be necessary to do a 4-link? But I could be wrong.

Any more ideas or pics of it done on 1/2 tons??

·
Maniac
692 Posts
You could build something that is similar to a trophy trucks rear suspension. That would be the only way I could really see it working. You wouldn't have as much travel, and your ability to haul heavy loads will probably be decreased, but I think something along these lines would be a good starting point.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Trophy trucks just have a triangulated 4 link with lower trailing arms that mount the coil carrier and bypass shock. There's zero reason to go to the trouble of fabricating trailing arms for this application, the shock motion ratio is perfectly fine at or barely on one side of 1:1. You're not trying to get 30" of verticle wheel travel so you don't need a 1:2 motion ratio.

A run of the mill triangulated 3 or 4 link would be best, avoid the weird trend of doing a parallel 4 link or a 5 link out back. You don't need a panhard, completely unnecesary if you just spend the time and plot your link mounts for decent AS through your travel and limited axle steer with a triangulated setup. Pinion angle change also needs to be addressed, but with decent AS from bump to droop you should have it under control.

Coil springs are fine, it's just the realestate they require as well as getting a set that are the right spring rate for the unsprung weight. Make sure to get shocks that will adequetely dampen the rear axle for the intended use.

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
zubys setup was amazing :drool:

100_0444-1.jpg

DSC02466Medium.jpg

DSC02464Medium.jpg

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Zuby's setup is exaclty what kyle is telling Mike not to run. A good trialgulated 4 link will be a great setup out back.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
yall odnt get me started. My 94' project doesnt need anymore ideas. there was a dude on pirate that fabbed up a pretty sweet looking rear setup. Im not all into the 3 link/4link parrallel bullshit but it looked good enough.

im stickin to leafs.....mud doesnt need links and coilovers.

·
Missin the switches
3,045 Posts
if you wernt going that over board, pick up a rear end from a tahoe for 6 lug or a hummer for 8 lug since they already have the coil mounts on them..save ya some work..

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
if you wernt going that over board, pick up a rear end from a tahoe for 6 lug or a hummer for 8 lug since they already have the coil mounts on them..save ya some work..
i was about to suggest that. maybe find a wrecked one and strip it all out.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Caddy SUVs have the 6lug 14sf with provisions for coil mounts.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Zuby's setup is exaclty what kyle is telling Mike not to run. A good trialgulated 4 link will be a great setup out back.
I was wondering when someone was going to mention this :crazy:

I'm pretty sure the Caddy SUVs have the 6lug 14sf with provisions for coil mounts.
Tis what I was thinking....

This definitely seems like all too much work to fix the thrust angle. I guess I'll just deal with it how it is and get a new set of leafs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts