GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m looking to add some horsepower and fuel economy to my 2004 chevy suburban 5.3l. I’d like to add a cold air intake however I’m concerned about idling issues, etc. that might come from a change in air to the engine. Would the intake 57 3023-1 from K&N run normally from an install or would it need further work with the computer or any tuning?

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
Adding that intake to your truck will not add mpg or hp.

Get a good drop in air filter and a tune, like diablo or super chips. And it will net you far better results.

Intakes do almost nothing on stock trucks other than make noise and look cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adding that intake to your truck will not add mpg or hp.

Get a good drop in air filter and a tune, like diablo or super chips. And it will net you far better results.

Intakes do almost nothing on stock trucks other than make noise and look cool

Thank you for letting me know. I’m a new driver and I’m not too experienced with mechanics. If you don’t mind would you explain why this is? Are the increases negligible or does it have no actual effect?

·
Super Moderator
5,581 Posts
Thank you for letting me know. I’m a new driver and I’m not too experienced with mechanics. If you don’t mind would you explain why this is? Are the increases negligible or does it have no actual effect?
Most "cold air" intakes draw more hot air from the engine bay and just make a cool woosh noise. Cut the side against the fender of your factory filter box open and run a piece of foam around it to seal it against the opening in the fender. You'll be sucking outside air in instead of hot engine bay air

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
You get about 10hp from a good cai. But that’s only at wide open throttle. And for $3-400 it’s just not worth it. Nor will you really feel it on a big vehicle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Concur with what these guys are saying - it's probably not worth it from a strict ROI standpoint.

I do have a Volant CAI on my 2003, and it's been trouble-free for about 10 years. It also does make a delightfully improved roar under acceleration.

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
Oh yeah. I’ve had several. And currently have a cold air Inductions cai on my truck. But it’s only for noise and looks. I knew I wouldn’t gain anything from it. And I didn’t.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
You get about 10hp from a good cai. But that’s only at wide open throttle. And for $3-400 it’s just not worth it. Nor will you really feel it on a big vehicle.
Yeah it's not really worth it unless you have all the other bolt on's and mods like long tubes, camshaft & valvetrain, free flowing exhaust etc. Then the larger diameter CAI tube can make a difference in air flow... after all's said and done, 10 to 12 horsepower for $200 is not really that expensive to some. The bad part (for those without HP Tuners) is that you have to re-scale and dial in the MAF sensor for the larger cold air tube to see those performance gains.

I picked up a new AFE (open box) off e-bay for $100 + $18 shipping

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
10-12 hp at wot. How often are you at wot? And how do you feel 10hp in a two ton vehicle? It’s a pointless thing to spend money on if you’re after power. If that’s all you’re doing.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Just for the history, Cold Air intakes became popular in the 80's and 90's when it wasn't unusual for vehicles to have an open air filter element under the hood sucking in air right off of the radiator. Colder air is denser and therefore has more oxygen. The manufacturers caught on pretty quickly and made design changes to exploit this. So for most vehicles they won't do shit, other than make noise and give a certain aesthetic.

How many of you remember the claims that were made from "Ground Wires"?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I do! I do!

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Like mentioned I still run a stock air box with holes cut in the bottom. The most gains are from a larger free flowing intake tube. I run a 4" on mine and also on the wifes cammed Tahoe.
Oh yeah, and they also both have a K&N drop in filter just for the haters. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
10-12 hp at wot. How often are you at wot? And how do you feel 10hp in a two ton vehicle? It’s a pointless thing to spend money on if you’re after power. If that’s all you’re doing.
Almost every time I drive the truck, It's hard to resist the adrenaline push.

Hey 10 from e-fans, 10 from cai, 25+ from tuning, 40+ from camshaft and valvetrain, 25+ from exhaust. That's 110+ hp (crank) over the factory 345 hp. It all adds up plus I needed a V8 duct tube to use the factory air box anyways.

For $100 the new AFE kit was fk'n perfect for my build :cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
Your build isn’t what op has.

And you have a warm air intake with the open top box. As I’m sure it doesn’t seal around your hood perfectly. And the metal can head soak since it doesn’t have insulation around it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts