GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody ever use or have VaraRam VR-6 GM Cross Ram King Cobra Air Intake Kits how do they compare too the other cold air intakes out there like k&n
looking too get something and came upon the VaraRam Air Intake Kits and was wandering what everybodies opinion was

·
Resident Metal Head
5,527 Posts
all cold air intakes do the same thing
one is basically no better than another, despite what "marketing numbers" may say. Generally you want to stick with a dry intake, cause the oil ones can sometimes mess up the MAF if you over do it on the oil.

Just go with whatever you think looks the coolest and what you can get for the least amount of moneh.

·
TROLL REVOLT of 2012
2,474 Posts
all cold air intakes do the same thing
one is basically no better than another, despite what "marketing numbers" may say. Generally you want to stick with a dry intake, cause the oil ones can sometimes mess up the MAF if you over do it on the oil.

Just go with whatever you think looks the coolest and what you can get for the least amount of moneh.
x2

get an ebay intake they look pretty good

·
TROLL REVOLT of 2012
2,474 Posts

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
i just picked up a specture kit from autozone.

·
Resident Metal Head
5,527 Posts
Called cold air because it is taking colder air from the fender instead of the hot air under the hood. If you were to pull out your airbox you'll see the holes in the fender it sucks air from. Both aftermarket and stock air intakes can be considered "cold air" cause the air is being pulled from the same source.

The problems you can run into from an open top aftermarket air intakes is that it can also suck in some hot air from the engine bay, which doesn't make as much power and cold dense air.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The best way to get better gas mileage is getting a performance air filter. I got a Secture air filter for 26 bucks after using my Autozone rewards points it was only 6 bucks. I'm now getting mid 17s consist gas mileage compare to low 16s for gas mileage. My next purchase is going to be the Airaid modular intake tube for even less resistance in the air intake system for even better gas mileage. This system will still use the factory the air box to get the air from the fender to still get the cold more dense air. This is what you want I have a custom cold air intake system on my 92 F150 that gets hotter air from under the hood. So I didn't notice much difference because of the hotter less dense air. Trust me the most air resistance in any air intake system will be at the air filter.

·
pro grade member
2,264 Posts
A lot of people just replace the tube and leave the airbox. Kinda best of both worlds. That gives u a better flowing tube while the airbox keeps out hot air from under the hood. Me personally I have the kn 77 series cai cuz its Chrome and I like shiny things....

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
The best way to get better gas mileage is getting a performance air filter. I got a Secture air filter for 26 bucks after using my Autozone rewards points it was only 6 bucks. I'm now getting mid 17s consist gas mileage compare to low 16s for gas mileage.
On a modern fuel injected engine, that effect is a placebo.

As demonstrated quite thoroughly in those links, a severely clogged air filter, so bad that you can't drive fast, is like taking your foot off the gas pedal. Nobody here would say keeping your throttle closed is bad for fuel economy but they buy into the marketing that tells them a lame intake is bad for fuel economy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts