GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I have heard that a throttle body spacer and a cold-air intake do not fit on a 5.3 without cutting part of the fan shroud. Is this true, and is a throttle body spacer/cold-air intake worth the price performance-wise? I was thinking about an Airaid TBS and either an Airaid intake or K&N intake. What do you guys recommend? Also, I heard the TBS sometimes makes a whistling sound. Does it sound cool like a turbocharger or is it just an annoying sound? Thanks alot, guys!

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
This is true, the tb spacer will NOT fit. I cut the crap out of my fan shroud and it looks like crap. IMO the spacer is not worth the 100 buks. but it does have a nice whistle.

Dan

·
ExhaustSoundzSeniorMember
1,137 Posts
word, i had a spacer, and while i noticed a little difference on my 98 350, i dont think its worth the 100 bucks

·
Registered
34 Posts
You are right a spacer will not fit with out cutting the shroud. And I have heard a lot of people saying that the spacer is a waste of money.

Two of my friends just bought intakes. Of course they both would not buy the AEM Brute Force like I have because they wanted to be different. One bought an K&N fipk and another bought the Air raid package deal that comes with the spacer and "intake". He went that route because he wanted the spacer. He thought he would get a full intake, but he didn't. All that he got was the spacer cone filter and heat shield and you have to use the stock (crap)duct work. The spacer does sound sort of cool at first but it eventually gets anoying, especially when it is in 2nd or 3rd going up hill or under a little load and it is constantally whistiling. The K&N intake is a pretty good and proven intake. But I thinnk it is a little high priced due to the fact it is a K&N product and it is all plastic.

Not just because I have an AEM but seeing quite a few intakes out there I am still convinced the the Volant and AEM intakes are the best on the market because of the quality price and looks! Good luck with your decision.... :head:

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
everyone says that TBS are good on the TBI trucks and that you can actually see a small gain. They are not worth it on the vortec motors. I have never once heard of one person say they gained anything from them.

·
I peed in your pool. Yay!
1,214 Posts
my k&n fipk cam wih a pic of papr and said my rck wd gain 7.5 hp. 265 dollars for 7.5? if i wold by a programmr, i wold prolly hlp som doo. . and i'm a chap basard. Jak

·
THE VIKING !!!
279 Posts
I have the TBS & K&N Intake and I didnt cut my fan shroud ???

Also , after a while of people asking if you are turbocharged , it gets annoying ... :pissed: But I keep it on there to have fun with the ricers , especial since Parish has turboed his new truck .. :head:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot for your input guys! Does anyone notice if you get better fuel economy (important considering the high gas prices)?

·
Registered
413 Posts
i have a poweraid tbs on my vortec 350 and it sounds similar to a turbo, but i can only hear mine around 3500 to 4500 rpm. i duno if it gave me any power since i put it on the same time i put on the airaid intake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts