GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've started to collect some parts for my 94' 2dr. Blazer.
Thanks to Phil, by the way!

I'm planning on doing a 6" susp. lift here shortly, as soon as I can sell my little S10 Blazer.

So far I have:

- 4" ORD shackle flips
- Zero-rates
- New round ubolts
- Ubolt spring plates (for doing a ubolt flip)

I'm planning on running this thing level with this rear setup and turning some 35's. Now for my dilemma.

My buddy is gonna be getting some new, bigger tires for his OOBS Chevy. He currently has a set of 315/75/16 BFG M/T's that have about 1/2 life left. Maybe alittle more. I can get this for a decent price which is nice. But, I already have aftermarket 15x8's on my Blazer now, and bought the 15" wheels b/c tire prices would be cheaper when I decided to lift it. Now I have these 315's available, but no rims to run them on besides my Blazer's stockers.

The second issue is, he may have to wait quite a while now to get any new tires b/c he and his wife are planning to buy a house. So she may shut down his new tire purchase idea for a bit. If that ends up happening, I'm gonna want to get some new tires for my 15" wheels. Maybe down the road buy his 315's for my stockers for winter use.

What do I go with? I know I want to run a 35/12.50/15. I do quite a bit of driving with this Blazer as my DD when I'm not driving the HD to pick up materials or pull the trailers. I don't do much offroading, just jobsites and some occassional playing here and there. Here are a couple choices I was considering:

- BFG A/T's
- BFG M/T's
- Mickey Thompson MTZ's
- GY Wrangler M/TR's

I need something fairly light b/c the truck will have to make do with the 3.42's for a while. And of course, nothing too expensive.

Here's the way the truck sits currently:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I think you should just get rid of it personally, its a piece of shit. Ill take it off your hands. :crazy:

Out of the tires listed MTZ's for sure. And you can find decent deals on ebay for them.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,252 Posts
in that size, its a split between the BFG M/T's or the MTZ's in my opinion. The BFG A/Ts aren't aggressive looking enough and they don't get that much better mileage than the M/Ts, plus the M/T is just a much better looking tire. And those Goodyears and pretty expensive from what I've seen.

What lift are you looking at? I'd suggest the Dick Cepek obviously :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sounds like it's gonna turn out great.

I really like the BFG MT's. I got about 55k out of my 285's on my hd. My buddy has a set of 35x12.5x15's on an 87 K5, and he looks like he's going to get around 50k on his. They are wearing very good. He is on 10" wide wheels though.

I haven't heard much good stuff about the goodyear MTR's. A buddy has them on his HD and they wore down super quick. He probably got about 30-35k on them, and they were loud as heck towards the end.

I'm a big fan of slightly bigger wheels, so I would say to go up to the 16's, but thats just me. :D

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
The goodyears will wear fast under a heavy truck because they have a softer compound than those a/t's. They aren't a good choice here anyways because they're heavier than either of the a/t's. If you're happy with the bfg's you have I'd get another set, or else go with the bfg m/t.

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone.

I'm leaning towards the BFG M/T's or the MTZ's. I've run quite a few sets of BFG A/T's, and they've always been a great tire. But nothing made my HD look better than changing from A/T's to the Toyo M/T's.

I really like the MTZ's, but I don't know anyone local that has them. I've heard good things about them here. But, I've also heard they run small. Is this true???

I'm gonna be running a 6" Rough Country. I have to kinda do a budget build on this one. My cousin has had a 6" RC on his 95 Z71 that I installed about 4 yrs ago. It's held up great to all the abuse he's put it through. Abuse that mine will never see.
Also, I'll probably upgrade the shocks at some point to Bilstein 5100's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts