GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do these computer chips really work or a waste of money ? if they work witch one is best for a 02 5.3 and why.....thanks, Jim

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,691 Posts
No its a waste because you can't put a chip in your 02.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
alot depends on what you wanto run, me personally i wont buy another hand held. but i have to run 91 oct in my truck. for the same price you can have some one like Black bear or nelsons build you a custom tuned pcm and it will out preform any hand healed tuner.

·
GMC Owner
1,464 Posts
Most bargain "chips" are a scam.

Best route to go would to have a custom tune by a reputable tuner. One fairly popular tuner is Blackbear performance. They are a supporting vendor on this site.

I had them tune my 2002 Silverado 5.3 and my dads 2008 Suburban 5.3. Woke both vehicles up and increased fuel economy quite considerably.

I am currently having them tune my 2014 Sierra 5.3.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
i went from about 16-17mpg highway to 18-20mpg highway right after i first had my bb tune done on my 2000 tahoe when it was still stock.

your right foot will also make a huge difference in mpg. look up hypermiling

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
with H/C/I and FBO i was getting 16ish around town and up to 22mpg on the highway with 3:73's

·
GMC Owner
1,464 Posts
what kinda mpg were you getting,and now what since the tune up on the 02 5.3 ? thanks
In my 2002, when it was stock I could get 17 mpg around town easy, 19 highway. After adding a lift kit and bigger tires it went down to about 15 around town 17 highway. So still pretty good.

I don't have the 02 anymore.

Get in touch with Blackbear performance. It's a bit pricey, but totally worth it in the long run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts