GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've seen alot of trucks where the have a small cone filter coming straight off the t/b. mainly in bagged trucks. i would like to do this mod to add room for another battery. i'm asssuming there's no kit and people just buy a filter, some rubber hose, and clamps. but does any one have info on moving the MAF and the clearnace issues with the fans. must you convert to electric fans? thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
god damn a can't find a picture anywhere

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
should work well and be cheap. if it can fit and not restrict flow

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'll do the efan conversion if i must. still pic searching

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I've seen it, not really any gains minus aesthetics

·
Asian as fuck!
3,863 Posts
it seems like you'd be less likely to fuck up anything if you had efans as well as add more room for the filter.. with the mechanical fan you chance the maf wires getting really close to the blades, not to mention there isn't much space between the stock fan shroud and the throttle body.

:imo

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Ive been tossing around this idea, running e-fans then doing that. Mainly for room purposes in whats left of my engine bay...

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'd being doing it for room also, cheap way to look good under the hood and have room for two batteries. unless there is a better system to add two batteries underhood in a nbs 1500

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
it seems like you'd be less likely to fuck up anything if you had efans as well as add more room for the filter.. with the mechanical fan you chance the maf wires getting really close to the blades, not to mention there isn't much space between the stock fan shroud and the throttle body.

:imo
:word:

The clearance would be really close with the stock clutch fan. It'd be a good reason to upgrade to e-fans though. I love how my engine compartment looks now with the e-fans and no clutch fan/shroud.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maybe i'll take the stock flex tube and add a cone filter and swing it out of the way, to make room for the batteries. because e-fans cost way to damn much for basically nothing i can benefit from

·
Asian as fuck!
3,863 Posts
maybe i'll take the stock flex tube and add a cone filter and swing it out of the way, to make room for the batteries. because e-fans cost way to damn much for basically nothing i can benefit from
improved gas mileage is usually viewed as more of a benefit than having a second battery and an akward looking intake contraption :imo

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i don't worry about gas mileage. i get 13.5 right now on a 5.3. i'm always hammering around pissing away gas. with the price of fans, wiring, tune, cone filter. i'd probably be close to a grand in cost. where as a cone filter and stock tube i could swing out the way would be like 50 bucks. the cone filter with the fans would look 1000 times better but i doubt it's worth the price. the extra battery would be worth more to me for the sound system i would like to have.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You can get an adapter from Street and Performance in Mena, Arkansas. Look them up online I can't remember their website. It's kinda expensive but they come with an adapter to mount the MAF sensor to the throttle body and a rectangular reusable filter with a billet cap on the front of that for LSx engines

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
the right way to do this would be with a SD tune deleting the MAF completely so you wouldnt have to worry about it.... then run your cone filter.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
You could put the second battery where the factory does in the right rear of the engine bay, behind the overflow tank.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
You could put the second battery where the factory does in the right rear of the engine bay, behind the overflow tank.
:word:

You can get an aux battery tray from the dealer that bolts right in to that location.

·
Minitrucker
710 Posts
the right way to do this would be with a SD tune deleting the MAF completely so you wouldnt have to worry about it.... then run your cone filter.
an sd tune? what is that and what is required? I am looking at doing this type of intake also.... oh and I know I saw a picture of this typ of intake on this forum I think it was on a white 4x4, that pulls a boat. but I cant find the pic either.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts