GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to order a 7 -9 inch kit from cognito and they have shock options of blistein in the rear but the only ones they have in the front are pro comp. I am going to have to order the shocks from a different place or am I missing something. Also if I install this kit is my truck going to be level or will it sit higher in the front? How are you able to powdercoat the shocks before they ship them

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Ok, from cognito you can order any shock you want...you cant paint them but do not powdercoat them. its going to be at 7" unless u crank the t bars so its depends on waht size leafs you order since they are not included

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I should order a 2 inch add a leaf to get it at 9? On the website it said the only front shock option is a pro comp not a blistein. I also have my t-bars cracked around 1 1/2 inches

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
ok when you install the lift your torsion bars are going to need to be re set anyway....you could order any shock you want for more money. the front kit for like $2150? does not include leaf springs so you will need to order those too...i suggest you call and talk to them seems like your having some problems, and cognito will answer any questions you possible have. if your goin to set it at 9.5" i suggest getting the 10"

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Just call Cognito when you are ready to order and ask for Justin. Justin is the guy that designes everything and started the company. Chad just works there but has a decent amount of knowledge. Im sure either will get you exactly what you need and answer all your questions but I prefer to deal with Justin obviously because he knows more than anyone else there. I would spend you money on steering upgrades and other things to improve your trucks weaknesses before I worry about a different color shock. You can always change those. Besides you will probley want to go dual front shocks eventually so just hold off on worrying about your shock color.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i woudlnt bother asking for justin, chad is really knoweldgable on his stuff now

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I went with the 8" Deavers, but I think they settled a little... so I put my stock 2" block in the back... My front is probably right at around 8.5 inches or so... I know I could crank more if I had their new upper A-Arms... so someday that will be on order. Anyways.. The back is right at a 1/2" higher than the front with the 2" blocks, settled 8" deavers and like I said... thats with the front at about 8.5"

·
droppin loads
3,883 Posts
set it at 8" and just get 5.5" blocks. screw the shocks, get the tie rod kit instead.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Word to everything Sandaddiction and Belmont said. :read:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
and your planning on installing this?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Werd on getting the 10" kit if your planning on going to 9 inches anyways..... I wish I had. Def. go with the steering options while your at it. Tie rods, idler pivot assembly, and the UCA's, that is if you've got the funds.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
/\ steering box if you have money also

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
werd on this:

Call them first
Justin can answer anything
Get the Deaver's

I had Bilsteins with my 7-9", just had to ask.

·
droppin loads
3,883 Posts
The 10" kit will cost you alot more.

Basic 7-9 w/ single ProComp shocks and 5.5" block kit = $2225.25
(No CV driveshaft needed)

Basic 10-12 w/ single ProComp shocks, springs, blocks and CV driveline =$3930.51

plus 37s will cost more than 35s. and you well definitely need to regear for 37s but might be able to get away with stock gears for 35s.

you sounded like you were kind of on a budget so I was just pointing that out.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Either do it right or dont do it all. As for talking to Chad ya thats fine do what you want but if you want the best advice talk to the guy that designed the damn thing. From what I see all of the people except for one giving you advice have never even ran a Cognito kit. I am willing to bet other than me at the most only 2 people in this thread so far have installed one. Do what you want but I have put 5 Cognito suspension lifts on. Two 10" kits and Three 7" kits........do what you want........... I would call Justin if you want all your questions answered and your heart at ease.

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
Either do it right or dont do it all. As for talking to Chad ya thats fine do what you want but if you want the best advice talk to the guy that designed the damn thing. From what I see all of the people except for one giving you advice have never even ran a Cognito kit. I am willing to bet other than me at the most only 2 people in this thread so far have installed one. Do what you want but I have put 5 Cognito suspension lifts on. Two 10" kits and Three 7" kits........do what you want........... I would call Justin if you want all your questions answered and your heart at ease.
:nopics: :nopics:

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
The 10" kit will cost you alot more.

Basic 7-9 w/ single ProComp shocks and 5.5" block kit = $2225.25
(No CV driveshaft needed)

Basic 10-12 w/ single ProComp shocks, springs, blocks and CV driveline =$3930.51

plus 37s will cost more than 35s. and you well definitely need to regear for 37s but might be able to get away with stock gears for 35s.

you sounded like you were kind of on a budget so I was just pointing that out.

wow.... thats ballah stuff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well for 1 my brother and some of his buddies are going to install it. and i will get the steering options for sure.

About how much are the blocks?
I want to get as much lift as I can out of the kit so I want the front to be at about 9

BTW wtf is a dreaver? (im a newb at this shit)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Well for 1 my brother and some of his buddies are going to install it. and i will get the steering options for sure.

About how much are the blocks?
I want to get as much lift as I can out of the kit so I want the front to be at about 9

BTW wtf is a dreaver? (im a newb at this shit)
if you want the front to be at 9" why arent you just getting a 10 inch kit? you truck will ride soo much better with a 10" kit and wont be as much stress on parts

1 - 20 of 34 Posts