GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, checking back in from years past. I used to own a 2005 Sierra SLT half ton, beautiful truck, loved it. Alas, it sat too much (I was a field tech with a company truck). Rust got ahold of a lot of things, brake lines, fuel lines, tank flange, never ending evap codes.

I got out of it and into a new 2012 Tundra. Fast forward 7 years. The Tundra has been a great truck. 100% reliable, never let me down. Tows good, plows snow great, only done brakes and tires (and maintenance items).

Anyway, I recently took a new job where I’m driving my own vehicle for work. It has put me in a position of wanting to get back into something more comfortable. If I could pick one element about the Sierra thqt I have missed (sorely) is the comfort. My 05 was an insanely comfortable pickup, and I have missed it big time. So with this new job, consistent use of my truck, comfort has become a top priority.

I am considering getting back into a GMC. I’ll skip ahead to the 3 Sierras I’m looking at, all CC’s. I have a 2016 2500 SLT with the 6.0, a 16 Denali 1500 with the 6.2, a 16 SLT 1500 with the 5.3

While I like the idea of the 6.2 or the 6.0, I was happy with the 5.3 I had in the 05.

I plow my driveway with my truck, and will be planning on moving my 7.5 Fisher HT to the truck I end up going with. My 05 SLT did it, never had a problem.

So that’s my story....just wanted to see what’s new, what’s good, what’s bad...hopefully make a move in the next few weeks. The Tundra needs and exhaust. I’d like to not have to drop that money into it if I’m dumping it....so I won’t be waiting too long.

Thanks for your input!

·
jewish misanthropist
466 Posts
Not sure I follow the logic of your old 05 GMC being comfortable so you're only looking at 2016 model GMCs given they're entirely different vehicles, ergonomically. I would suggest you go test drive a newer halfton or 3/4 ton gas truck of each brand and go based off that.

Of the 3 you listed though, I'm always partial to getting a 3/4 ton. Does everything the half ton does and better with stronger parts yet the ride quality is pretty negligible. Will take the burden of plowing easier also despite that not being a big plow

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure I follow the logic of your old 05 GMC being comfortable so you're only looking at 2016 model GMCs given they're entirely different vehicles, ergonomically. I would suggest you go test drive a newer halfton or 3/4 ton gas truck of each brand and go based off that.

Of the 3 you listed though, I'm always partial to getting a 3/4 ton. Does everything the half ton does and better with stronger parts yet the ride quality is pretty negligible. Will take the burden of plowing easier also despite that not being a big plow
Sorry about any confusion. What I meant to convey is that I have missed the comfort of my 05 SLT ever since getting into the Tundra (2012).

I like the idea of a 3/4 ton too....but comfort being very high on the list keeps me considering the other options. That 6.2 is awfully appealing....lol

·
Just some fuckin guy
2,233 Posts
If your driving your own truck and wont be towing then I would get a half ton with the plow prep pkg. @SierraZ570 is putting up some pretty freakin good mpg numbers with his green truck.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
If your driving your own truck and wont be towing then I would get a half ton with the plow prep pkg. @SierraZ570 is putting up some pretty freakin good mpg numbers with his green truck.
20.5 and 21 I got when I went to see Cory.
300 mile round trip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I drive a 2016 2500 4WD 6.0 Dbl Cab. I love this truck.

1) It is a stiff ride compared to my 2005 1500.
2) City mileage is 14mpg, highway is 16mpg (no towing yet).
3) Check to see if your 2016 2500 has the ECO engine (DI, VVT, cylinder deactivation).
(mine is a Chevy and only has DI & VVT)

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Denali with the 6.2 would be my pick. More comfortable and more fun to drive then the 2500. Also with the 6.2 you will get better fuel mileage then either the 5.3 or 6.0.
When my 6.2 was stock it did 22 to 23 mpg on a 500 mile trip doing 70-75 mph and I have the max tow with 3.42 ratio. Denali 6.2 will have the 3.23 ratio and should do a little better.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My little brother has a 2017 1500 6.2 Denali and the truck rides great. Much better than a 2500 also better fuel mileage and for being stock it gets it. I’m in a f250 or 3500 everyday and there is a significant difference. My opinion on a 2500 if it’s not a diesel why buy it jmo. I do own a couple for work because of maintenance cost. But for a personal truck it will always be a diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, revisiting this decision again. I convinced myself I didn’t want to spend the $$, but now I’m back on the fence.

I’ve done some on-line shopping/looking. Found several trucks I like.

My top pick right now is a 17 Silverado LTZ 6.2 w/max tow.

Other picks:

15 High Country 6.2 (I actually like the look of the 15’s, seems like most don’t for some reason).

16 LTZ 5.3

I’ve seen that the 6.2’s seem to have a common issue with lifters (something to do with the AFM), is this as common as I am reading about?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Working at a GM dealer ill tell you the common issue on 14+ trucks
Rear windows leak and if power sliding they burn up.
oil and trans cooler lines leak all the time
Lifters on the 5.3 and 6.2 are common to fail like the older gen if they have the AFM

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I’m told that the AFM is easily disabled with a tuner, is this true?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
So I’m told that the AFM is easily disabled with a tuner, is this true?

yes a Tune can disable it. Blackbear would be the great people to talk to

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes a Tune can disable it. Blackbear would be the great people to talk to
Who is Blackbear? I’m assuming I can pay someone to tune it out then?

I don’t like the idea of having a bypass device plugged in, so I’d opt to pay an aftermarket shop to disable it through software (I hope). Anyone have this done, what did it cost you? Can’t imagine getting charged more than $100-$150 type thing....watching a few videos shows it’s a pretty quick process.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I just called Blackbear. Sounds like their basic tune setup will take care of the AFM and a whole lot more. The price is steep....I have to think about it.

·
Super Moderator
5,564 Posts
Diablew is $500 for everything and a custom tune.

Or just buy a diablo tuner with a canned tune for $350.

All Fixe the shitty transmissions shifts, throttle lag, and afm

·
Registered
50 Posts
ask this Nancy .. I'm sure he will know best seeing as how he's all knowing about what's best and has nothing better to do than troll chats .. I mean look at his signature .. he means business ...
" 12 Fusion
17 Escape
94 Ranger
70 Nova SS
02 Suburban "
That's quite the stable there Billy bad ass

1 - 20 of 54 Posts