GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready for something different and the SS looks like a good replacement for my truck. I was just wondering if there is anything that has a tendency to break or any major gripes with it. I need a truck that has better mileage than 11 mpg, isn't a money pit, and can tow 5-6k lbs every now and then, so will a SS fit my requirements? Any other thoughts or comments would be great.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
You already have the mod bug. It would be tough to keep from spending more money on the SS, but it has some potential to be a sweet truck.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
The SS is a great truck, I still miss mine.

Couple of things to help you out:

2003-2004 were AWD only
2005 it was an option but RWD was standard
2006 was RWD only and AWD was completely discontinued

They have the same weak 4l65e in them as all the other half tons so be aware that if you get an AWD version you're gonna be replacing a tranny or rebuilding it. There is no question of IF... just a matter of when you'll blow it up. The stress of the traction all 4 tires putting grip to the road adds is too much for the 65e even if the motor only puts out stock HP.

As for the gas mileage thing... you can expect to see between 12-15 depending on how you drive. This is another thing AWD will play a major roll in. The added drag/weight of the front drivetrain will kill your mpg... my 04 was AWD and I was lucky to see anything better than 10-11mpg... but I was also turning 22's and had quite a bit of work done to the tranny so that might not be the best gauge.

Other small issues to look at with the SSS -

Steering shaft clunk. All the GMs have this so its not a big deal, but it seems to be more pronounced in the AWD's than anything else.

Body cladding waves. 03-04 trucks had a tendency for the body cladding to warp or get ripples in it. Not sure why and it wasn't on all of them, but it was common... so keep an eye out if you're looking at one. There is no TSB for this so the dealer won't help you.

Other than that there isn't much else to complain about. Like I said I loved mine and miss it alot. Fun trucks for sure... good luck finding one. I suggest RED :read:

DSC01162.jpg

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. If I put in a shift kit and billet servo, that would make the tranny last longer wouldn't it? Also which is better: the AWD or RWD version of the SS?

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. If I put in a shift kit and billet servo, that would make the tranny last longer wouldn't it? Also which is better: the AWD or RWD version of the SS?
Shift kit and servos will help. I'd also recommend upgrading the tranny cooler to a bigigger one with an e-fan on it and upgrade the clutches and band.

As for which is better its entirely subjective... AWD is great for traction in wet snowy weather, but it adds weight making it slower by a little bit. Also affects MGP. It comes down more to what you need/use the truck for.

Theres a ton of great info on SSS's over on SilveradoSS.com

·
Registered
785 Posts
It should help a lot. I'm at 65K+ now on the stock transmission, with over 40K of those miles having the Radix supercharger on it. Not one hint of slippage. Have the Transgo shift kit, hardened valve body separater plate, metal accumulator piston and a corvette servo.

Had it on the dyno once, last month, was a low pressure day and put down a little over 410rwhp in 2nd gear. Would have had a bit more, but the truck started to "bounce" on the rollers in the upper rpms on the best pull. Torque was significantly more. :evil:

And while I agree with Dylan in that Red does look good, the rarest color is by far the fastest (and best looking) :D

·
Registered
627 Posts
And while I agree with Dylan in that Red does look good, the rarest color is by far the fastest (and best looking) :D
:LOL: I expected that!

Dylan pretty much summed everything up. I'm not sure on AWD vs RWD on speed. I have not seen stock RWD numbers quicker than AWD so far :think: Also not mentioned AWD is 4.10 geared and RWD is 3.73 if that matters at all.
I have no input on transmission reliability, I have less than 8000 miles on mine and it is black which is faster than red, blue or silver :crazy:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol, I found a red SS in my town and think I can get it from the guy cheap so we'll see how that goes in the next few weeks.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
:LOL: I expected that!

Dylan pretty much summed everything up. I'm not sure on AWD vs RWD on speed. I have not seen stock RWD numbers quicker than AWD so far :think: Also not mentioned AWD is 4.10 geared and RWD is 3.73 if that matters at all.
I have no input on transmission reliability, I have less than 8000 miles on mine and it is black which is faster than red, blue or silver :crazy:
The speed is only a couple of 10ths in the 1/4... the AWD has the advantage out of the hole, but the 2WD makes it up on the top end, partially gearing, partially weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts