GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I call this project a controversy because I believe that there are things I plan on doing to this truck that some will love, and some will hate. I am a person who appreciates engineering and craftsmanship, but also has an eye for design. So what may seem to rub some the wrong way at first may end up serving a great function and end up looking great in the end. There is very little about this truck that can be found in any "how to" or mass produced parts that can be purchased and attached. This definitely NOT a "Kookie Kutter Kustoms" build.

Here's a little about me. I am a mechanical engineering student and I work in a research and development lab for ballistic composite materials. The fancy title doesn't come with a fancy paycheck, so that's what forced a lot of the lack of "off the shelf" parts. Before I worked for the lab, I owned a body shop, and before that I worked as a metal fabricator. So I kinda know what I'm doing.:crazy:

And now, the interesting part. The truck is a 2001 Silverado regular cab.

The safe and common plans are:
-3/4 frame, with 2"x3" mandrel bent rails and a very uniqe rear link system.
-Channeled do the doors
-24" 3 piece wheels (not sure of the brand yet)

And the Controversial part:
-Gullwing doors (Pivoting from the center of the roof with a custom made hinge. Not lambo's and not that gate hinge at the top of the door bullshit that you see at the DUB show.)
-Carbon Fiber Laminated Hood, Roof, and Partial tailgate skin.
-Full Carbon Fiber Tonneau (custom made)
-Shaved body lines
-70' C10 style rear design + similar tail lights
-Redesigned front end - extended hood lip by 1" (styled after 2000ish Silverado SS concept)

Oh yeah, and its gonna be green and absolutely NO CHROME.

Well that's the abstract. I'll post pics of where I'm at so far, in a few.

·
Smiggles
3,493 Posts
damn sounds like a plan, post lots of pics

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
not even chrome wheels? :(

sounds like a good project :popcorn:

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
it already looks like shit.

:crazy: keep us updated

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
sounds interesting.:hmm:
and it can turn out sweet if done right.:shake:

oh and 3 piece wheels FTMFW!:drool:

·
Aftermath
657 Posts
-70' C10 style rear design + similar tail lights

im interested in seeing how your going to pull that off.. there rear in more box shaped then rounded..

and the gullwing doors thing..yea. um no..

·
Banned
4,048 Posts
:word: when you graduate college...get a job at Broheim Designs working with the legendary Erik Boyett
Thats too great! Im looking forward to seeing this project come together...should be interesting :imo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, I started this thread at work, drove home, sold my KP 6 link, ate dinner, and I'm already getting shit. Alright, here are some pics.

Here's the truck right after I picked it up from the dealership.
truck1.jpg

truck1.jpg

Bagged.
DSCN0892.png

Shaved.
DSCN2590.png

Gas Door Shaved and installed chopper cap
DSCN2660.png

DSCN1259.png

DSCN1260.png

DSCN1261.png

That was all from about 2005-ish. Then the truck sat in my shop for the next few years.

·
Registered
167 Posts
before more people come in and flame, let me just say this:

Ryan is a CRAZY fabricator, and has alot of crazy ass ideas, and alot of talent. He has access to ANYTHING he needs to build this (plasmas, lathes, welders, benders, Fiberglass/carbon fiber and muich much more

I understand how everyone isnt feeling the gullwing doors, but belive me if anybody can make them look good its Ryan. Just kick back, relax and watch the pics, cause we will be uploading alot of them.

Also the truck is at my house, and this isnt the first truck to be bd'ed and framed here either :)

1 - 20 of 89 Posts