GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently blew up my transfer case and instead of dropping the money on a rebuilt one I was thinking of converting it to 2 wheel drive(I want to make a street truck out of it anyways). I have asked a few people and they tell me that it is as easy as getting a drive shaft out of a 2 wheel drive truck, dropping my transfer case and front drive shaft and swapping it into my truck. I was wondering if anyone has done it or know anyone who has so I will know what problems(if any) I will run into. Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
The transmission output shafts are different between 2wd and 4wd trucks. You'd need to find a 2wd transmission and swap that out. Even after it's all said and done, you'll still have cv shafts in the front.

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
2wd tranny
Driveshaft
Remove the front differential
Pull the CVs
Swap 4wd hubs to 2wd hubs

·
2014 CC Denali 6.2
1,221 Posts
IMO find a used T.C. keep the 4X4 buy a 2WD truck if that what you want

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
how the hell did you blow up your transfer case? leak all the oil out of it and it destroyed itself?

·
Registered
314 Posts
chevy trucks are a dime a dozen in junk yards. You should be able to find a t-case for a lot cheaper than converting it to 2wd.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya I guess I will just get a used T case instead of converting it. I love 4x4, just looking into to saving some money while im still going to school.

·
Registered
636 Posts
NOOO...
Damnit Sam, see what your doing to these people!!!!

Just get a used T case... you'll be happy that you did.. plus resale value will take more of a shit....

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,644 Posts
Really hope he didn't wait 12 years for your opinion

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts