GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 1997 c3500 chevy crew cab long bed (not a dually) and i want to convert the truck to 5 lug.. need a list of what i need to change..

·
Registered
366 Posts
Front a-arms or mod for 1500 ball joints.
spindles and brakes.
rear axle complete.

Steering on the oobs's were the same I think so it maybe the same for the obs. Walk into an auto parts store and ask about cross referencing for you. That or try to find a Hollender interchange manual. If they don't cross reference you'll need to score the 1500 set up too, but the power steering pump and hoses are the same.

Springs are trickey becouse do you want to lower or stay stock height? But I would atleast do 2500 hundred springs up front, and 1500 rear with helper bags to trim height and ride a bit.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Why not bag ot on 8-lug rims? I think they look mean, but more importantly you have bigger brakes. Which with what larger rims weigh is very nice.

Otherwise you may slide under a gas truck or something worse.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
havent seen any 8 lug rims i like and the offsets are no wheres close to tuck. plus i want to run 22 inch smoothies.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think he may have a point.

All the time, money, effort scrounging parts maybe about equal to Billet rims.

Plus you be back to square one with standard brakes where billet leaves you your HD brakes. Plus you could ultimately tuck them with the right offset not what they magically think you want off the shelf off-set.

Also you could run the ultimately big 22's 305's-325's in the rear and standard 265's up front or even bigger if you have the clearances.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
colorado customs are 1600 each.. what is some other brands. i would still be able to use the hydro boost..

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am not much into billet rims becouse I am poor, but I heard places like Bon-Speed use a kind of 3 piece set up to get desired off sets. And I think they start at 500ish.

You have the outer wheel shell, center piece, and inner spacer that can be cut to desired thickness. Or the center piece can have a backing flange that can custom the offset a bit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have my 98 3500cclb layin out on 22s. Wheels are a bitch to find though. When i first started baggin it i wanted the DUB dirty dog 8's but with the hub in the back they wouldnt fit. Next year im going to find a hummer axle and run the dirty dogs or im gonna do some intro pentia 8s on it. I settled for incubus game 8's, not the worst lookin wheel but still would rather have something a lil different. If your stuck on makin it 5 lug you will need 1500 upper control arms, the lowers will work. spindles brakes and the hub and rotor assembly, other than that you will be good up front. As for the back you will need to find a whole new axle and im sure the u-joint cant be the same. I say keep it 8 lug there is only 2 other 8 lug obs trucks layin out that i have found.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts