GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im doing a straight front axle conversion on my 1996 chevy k1500. its a z71 mint completely stock. i found the front axle i need. its a dana 44 from a 78' ford f250 but its 8 lug. i want to know what i need to buy to get my front axle matched up with my rear(10 bolt gm 8.5) the bolt pattern needs to be 6x5.5.
im clueless obviously please help haha.

G

·
Find any Chevy 6 lug 10 bolt or D44 front axle. You'll need caliper backing plates, rotors and hubs (hub, not lockouts) from the 6 lug axle. At long as your current axle is 1976+ everything else should work with the 6 lug stuff (spindles, calipers, lockouts).

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
why are you keeping the 10 bolt?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Find any Chevy 6 lug 10 bolt or D44 front axle. You'll need caliper backing plates, rotors and hubs (hub, not lockouts) from the 6 lug axle. At long as your current axle is 1976+ everything else should work with the 6 lug stuff (spindles, calipers, lockouts).
so i need to take all that stuff off the chevy 6 lug 10 bolt or dana 44 i find and it will all go right onto the ford dana 44 i have now?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Throw that 10 bolt out :D

G

·
so i need to take all that stuff off the chevy 6 lug 10 bolt or dana 44 i find and it will all go right onto the ford dana 44 i have now?
Ah, I forgot you're using a Ford front axle. I would swap everything from (including) the knuckles out from a Chevy axle.

Its much easier, cheaper, stronger and worth while to swap a 14b FF in the rear and have an 8 lug pattern all the way around.
:word: This is a better route. You won't have to monkey around with the front end as all the old school 8 lug patterns among the Big 3 were the same 8x6.5.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its much easier, cheaper, stronger and worth while to swap a 14b FF in the rear and have an 8 lug pattern all the way around.
you guys are right and the 14 bolts came with 4.10's right? at least some? and the front axle im buying has no gears in it so i have to buy gears anyhow. might as well upgrade. but can i just put on a 14 bolt in place of my 10 bolt without buying any extra parts?

·
Blown Daily
656 Posts
you guys are right and the 14 bolts came with 4.10's right? at least some? and the front axle im buying has no gears in it so i have to buy gears anyhow. might as well upgrade. but can i just put on a 14 bolt in place of my 10 bolt without buying any extra parts?
A conversion u-joint to mate your stock driveshaft to the new 3/4-1 ton axle... pretty cheap/easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts