GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would seem to me that it's feasible to convert the torsion front end of a Chevy to a coilover front. I've seen the Fabtech kit that does it...but what's the use of paying $6K for it? (I would have to SA it before spending that king of cash) Are there more logistics to this than I can think of? I don't see why you couldn't use the upper shock bucket as an upper mount and fabricate a lower u-style capture mount and run a nice sway-a-way or something of the like. Any ideas? I know some of you have thought about it......

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
The shock towers won't hold the weight of the vehicle. If you built an engine cage to connect them and some gusseting ot increase the weld surface area and distribut the load you could to it.

For the lower it gets hard with the OD of a coilover and the limited room with the halfshaft. Go take a look, its cramped. It can be done, but there's nothing stock that will hold either end.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...axleshafts not a problem. It's a 2wd 2500. So I got a little extra room. I can see the need for some bracing (or better yet just a large hoop style cage) on the top end. And I would imagine that the lower arm could be boxed in with a platform to receive the bottom of the coilover. Any thoughts on the angle of the coilover? I've been getting conflicting stories about how the angle of the coilover is critical (however some have said the opposite).

Overall, I just think it's possible with some decent fabwork and the right coilover. And all could be had for well under the cost of what it's going to straight axle this truck.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
I think there is a kit out there for the 2wds to convert them to coilover. I can't remember who makes it but RCD comes to mind. Do a google search on tb-coilover lift kits. I think they use a new lower control arm, cut off the factory shock bracket, and bolt & weld a new one on supplied with the kit. The last time I looked at it was last spring though so I'm not 100% on this.

Edit: didn't find anything on rcd's site, but do a google and look for it, there was a post on FSC last year about it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I found the other kit on the market. Made by Rockkrawler. 8.5" lift and can be ordered for the front only or their full-on kit which converts the rear to coilover as well. Retail $5-8K. Damn. I know the coilover themselves are expensive but shit, that's a ton of money. I'm guessing it's all supply and demand. Obviously Fabtech and Rockkrawler aren't selling that many of these kits.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
that rock crawler kit is bad ass but still very over priced

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
What is your ultimate goal for doing this? It seems like a lot of time and money for very little gain.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is your ultimate goal for doing this? It seems like a lot of time and money for very little gain.
I wouldn't drop for the Fabtech or Rockkrawler kit due to the money. I sell Sway-A-Way and Fox shocks and can get a great deal on them. I think the front coilover conversion is possible for a lot less than those kits. I guess it would just involve a lot of custom work. Seems like nobody has attempted it other than those two companies. Figure most people are investing that money into straight axle setups. Anyone have a used D60 for sale?:D

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I think the reason why a company hasn't attempted it is because it would cost a lot and there would be very little gain/reason to do the conversion.

First, you need to have a strong as hell upper mounting point for the shock. This would have to involve an engine cage or at least a huge shock hoop with multiple mounting points on the frame. A part like this would retail for $400 to $700 or more.

Second, you need a lower mounting point for the coil-over. The cheap way is to modify or remove the lower stock shock mount and replace it or modify it to make it stronger. The expensive way is to replace the stock lower arm with a custom lower arm with a coil-over mount built into it. You're probably looking at $80 for a custom mounting bracket that would require welding (high installation costs) and over $500 for a set of trick custom lower arms.

Third, you need coil-overs. You work in the industry, but for everyday consumers, 2.5 coil-over shocks are like $300 or more each. So that's at least $600.

Parts alone, you'd be looking at $1100 at least... probably more. For what though? This won't increase wheel travel. This won't give you any more ride height that a simple torsion bar adjustment could give you. A properly tuned coil-over will "ride" better than a torsion bar setup... but I know I wouldn't throw down $1100 just for a better "ride". The rear end will still ride the same. And, for the same price, you can get a 6" lift kit... which will actually give you a little extra performance. (More ground clearance and room for larger tires.)

The only real benefit that I see is that the front end will ride slightly better. It's just not worth it to me. I don't think there's a huge market for $1,100 coil-over conversions.

Another issue is that the 1/2 tons and HDs are different... it would require more R&D and more money to produce each kit. Mentioned earlier, another issue is the fact that the CV's sit right in the middle of everything. There isn't a lot of room to fit a 2.5" or 3.0" coil-over. The skinny stock shocks barely fit. It would be tough to come up with a good design for the 4wd versions of these trucks. Again... more R&D and more money spent by the company.

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
It can be done but like it's been said, it will be expensive. You can do it on the stock LCA. I've seen it done. You don't have to do a an engine cage, you can do it with a huge shock hoop. It would be more than 400 dollars for sure.

I'm hoping to do it if I don't SFA so I can get rid of my ugly tbar drops

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
I left out that I've heard nothing but bad things about the Rock Krawler kit

I've seen the Fabtech kit in person and it's a pretty cool setup

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I left out that I've heard nothing but bad things about the Rock Krawler kit
Just curious what you've heard specifically? I haven't really heard anything one way or the other...

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Basically the design of it wasn't good and it was poorly built. This came from people who know a whole hell of alot more than me on design of kits so i'll take their word for it.

As far as quality, I was looking at it and some of the welds were shitty.

Cool concept tho

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I see. I can't really tell from the pictures of it... But I think it's weird how they use a knuckle and leave the upper arm in the stock location (I think?)... but they also use a centerlink to drop the steering.

Why not leave the steering in the stock location and make a new mounting point on the knuckle?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts