GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see we have multiple threads with some basic information on convertors. I did some searching because I wasn't sure if there were any write ups on an install. Are they easy to do? Should I have a shop do it? Anyone have a link to a write-up or any reference material? Thanks guys, I have a 3400 stall convertor hopefully going in in the next few weeks

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Make sure your converter does NOT come out of the trans too far. If it comes disengaged from the input splines in the pump... Bad things happen. Some guys dont do it but I measured and shimmed mine.

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
yeah I figured it wasn't that bad. I think I will have to get a shop to do it though. I don't have the right tools to do it.
If you did a cam install yourself you can definitely do a converter swap. Its not hard at all. I suggest doing it yourself. What tools do you need? You only need basic hand tools. Maybe a couple long extension at most that you could borrow from a relative.

Just make sure to pour at least one bottle of ATF into the converter and make sure you seat it all the way onto the tranny shaft. Other than that there is nothing tricky or special about doing the swap.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
If you have high miles, swap the front and rear seals.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I had a local shop quote me yesterday and they asked for $467 to install :insane: Said it would be 5.5 hours for labor. I said thanks and walked out. Anyone know of any shops that are installing for cheaper? If I can go to a local shop and show them proof of other shops doing it for $250-350 maybe I can get them to match the price

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just do it your self man. Its really super easy. Just find out if its a 2 click or 3 click converter. Most are two. Witch means it should slide on spin and slide on more. Or hell I will do it for you for 350.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just do it your self man. Its really super easy. Just find out if its a 2 click or 3 click converter. Most are two. Witch means it should slide on spin and slide on more. Or hell I will do it for you for 350.
I just don't know much about trannys and I don't want to fuck mine up, do you have tools to do it? If so I'll pay you to do it, but not $350 if a shop is going to charge that :rofl2:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Guys on the newer trucks (99+) they are more difficult to do without the proper tools ie. 36inch extension, swivel sockets, flywheel wrench.
I would say if you have never done it....take it some where. Try learning on an easier trans like a 350 or 400. Even the 88-98 trucks are easier than the LSX model trucks. If you want to do it yourself send me a pm with your number and I can call you and walk you through it. My father has been building race trans for over 30 years and me (as a hobby) for over 4.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Stop being scared and do it!

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
I have changed 5 in my truck and countless convertors in others... its an easy job bro... nothing to it.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
anyone want to do a small write up for it then? What tools do I need? Is tranny fluid the only thing I will need to replace?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Fuck man if my GF was not like a day/days/week? away form having a baby I would come help you do it. Just keep calling EVERY shop you can find. Its pretty simple, not fun but simple. 5 hours is just funny 2 1/2 would be about right if thats what you did for a living.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So riddle me this. Is it really this basic but time consuming?

drain transmission
Unbolt trans from engine and unbolt tranny mounts
Do I take out the entire trans?
take out old convertor
get new convertor seated
bolt tranny back up
fill with fluid

That's it?

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
I'll do a short writeup for you in a bit... but you pretty much have it right there.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So riddle me this. Is it really this basic but time consuming?

drain transmission
Unbolt trans from engine and unbolt tranny mounts
Do I take out the entire trans?
take out old convertor
get new convertor seated
bolt tranny back up
fill with fluid

That's it?
Yeah pretty much. Make sure you work on like 3-4 layers of card board that cover a BIG area, The converter will not be drained when the trans is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts